• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loans from EBTs and other Trusts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was published at the beginning of August (draft legislation) and I think it makes HMR&C's position fairly clear http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/drafts/dta-av...tech-note2.pdf
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      This was published at the beginning of August (draft legislation) and I think it makes HMR&C's position fairly clear http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/drafts/dta-av...tech-note2.pdf
      Fairly robust but full of typical legislative double-talk that'll help keep accountants and lawyers in healthy fees for years to come. It does make for a fairly broad brush treatment for all of the off-shore avoidance schemes that are discussed on here; it also makes using one of them even riskier.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        Fairly robust but full of typical legislative double-talk that'll help keep accountants and lawyers in healthy fees for years to come. It does make for a fairly broad brush treatment for all of the off-shore avoidance schemes that are discussed on here; it also makes using one of them even riskier.
        Usually I would agree Craig; HMR&C are not usually that good at closing potential loopholes but this is pretty straightforward:

"The proposed legislation will apply where a DTA makes provision that income,
        profits or gains of a UK resident are either not subject to UK tax, not to be subject
        to UK tax at a rate exceeding the rate specified in the DTA or not to be treated as
        income, profit or gains of a UK resident and chargeable to UK tax"

Either that or I've spent far too many years reading stuff like this
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Usually I would agree Craig; HMR&C are not usually that good at closing potential loopholes but this is pretty straightforward:

"The proposed legislation will apply where a DTA makes provision that income,
          profits or gains of a UK resident are either not subject to UK tax, not to be subject
          to UK tax at a rate exceeding the rate specified in the DTA or not to be treated as
          income, profit or gains of a UK resident and chargeable to UK tax"

Either that or I've spent far too many years reading stuff like this
          I did a law degree for my sins and even my unprofessional eye on the proposed sections saw many imprecise areas that will help ensure that taxation lawyers have a revenue stream for the foreseeable future.

A "plain English" version might read as: If a UK resident earns income in the UK that would normally be subject to UK taxation but seeks to avoid that through the use of a DTA then they will be liable for UK taxation as if the DTA did not exist.

Comment

Lisa you do know thats not law yet ?

Comment

but it will be very soon, and it is abundantly clear.

It's the end for the offshore schemes.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I should have also added that in the case of my scheme largely irrevelant

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                  Lisa you do know thats not law yet ?
                  Might not be law but it's a published intention from HMRC that has passed through the options and detailed policy stages of consultation and is into the legislation drafting stage. The only way it won't become law is if something even more restrictive replaces it. I'd expect it to be announced in the pre-budget statement later this year quickly followed by a HMRC announcement much like last year's EBT announcement before being introduced into formal law through the 2012 Finance Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                    Might not be law but it's a published intention from HMRC that has passed through the options and detailed policy stages of consultation and is into the legislation drafting stage. The only way it won't become law is if something even more restrictive replaces it. I'd expect it to be announced in the pre-budget statement later this year quickly followed by a HMRC announcement much like last year's EBT announcement before being introduced into formal law through the 2012 Finance Bill.
                    I think there are very few of these DTA schemes still kicking around BN66 put paid to most of them

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                      I should have also added that in the case of my scheme largely irrevelant
                      I'd be genuinely interested to understand why you believe that. Can you post a few notes please on why your scheme won't get caught by that fairly simple test: UK resident + UK earned income + using off-shore scheme to avoid UK taxation = Caught.

Comment

Working...
                      X