• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

List of Accounts....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of Accounts....

I currently do all my own accounting using accounting software.

Slowly but surely I am trying to align my accounts better so that when i do the corporation tax and copany accounts it is a relatively easy process.

On that note.

Does anyone have a list of header accounts and what I can put under each header, that aligns with hmrc and companies house view of the world?

It may vary slightly between accountants, but generally you just need to be logical and be consistent. As long as the expense is allowable then HMRC are unlikely to be bothered about whether you categorise toners under Stationery or Computer Consumables.

Is there anything specific you're not sure of?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      It may vary slightly between accountants, but generally you just need to be logical and be consistent. As long as the expense is allowable then HMRC are unlikely to be bothered about whether you categorise toners under Stationery or Computer Consumables.

Is there anything specific you're not sure of?
      No it was along those lines. Nothing specific that I can think of right now.

I don't have a computer consumables item.... hmmmm.... I think I put my recent printer ink under staitionary....

I've got a few header accounts aligned with the CT600... I just wanted to make sure the expenses below these were the right ones.

I guess if I was investigated I could just say I put it on the wrong part of the CT return...

The point really is that I would rather get it correct and avoid any risk of HMRC perhaps wondering why my admin expenses were so high (not saying they are) and deciding to ask me....

Comment

OK, so a specific question..

What account would you put the previously discussed "expensed" capital purchases under £750 ?

E.g. Purchase of laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          OK, so a specific question..

What account would you put the previously discussed "expensed" capital purchases under £750 ?

E.g. Purchase of laptop.
          Computer consumables.

Comment

Computer consumables.
            and this just gets lumped in with admin expenses on ct600?

Comment

and this just gets lumped in with admin expenses on ct600?
              It would just be an admin expense, yes. Along with postage, stationery, advertising etc The detailed P&L on your accounts would show a full summary of what makes up the Admin Expenses anyway.

Are you using the online CT submission through HMRC's website (dual filing with Companies House)?

Comment

I currently do all my own accounting using accounting software.

Slowly but surely I am trying to align my accounts better so that when i do the corporation tax and copany accounts it is a relatively easy process.

On that note.

Does anyone have a list of header accounts and what I can put under each header, that aligns with hmrc and companies house view of the world?
                If you register for free with the sjd website they have some useful downloads. Downloads - Accountants UK - SJD Accountancy

Have a look at their 2011 spreadsheet which has some useful headings.

Comment

It would just be an admin expense, yes. Along with postage, stationery, advertising etc The detailed P&L on your accounts would show a full summary of what makes up the Admin Expenses anyway.

Are you using the online CT submission through HMRC's website (dual filing with Companies House)?
                  I will be this year. Did them seperately for last year (my tax year = calendar year)

Do you provide a review service Clare?

If i sent you my MYOB files or something can you review my "stuff" ?

Comment

I will be this year. Did them seperately for last year (my tax year = calendar year)

Do you provide a review service Clare?

If i sent you my MYOB files or something can you review my "stuff" ?
                    We'd have to sign you up as a client first, but there's no reason why not. I'll PM you my direct email address.

Comment

Working...
                    X