• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train or Car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train or Car?

Another question from yours truly. At the risk of sounding like I'm too lazy to work things out for myself (I'm not really - honest!) I'm finding it useful to bounce ideas of the more seasoned contractor out there (I have just got my first one!).

So.....
    Car:
    I need to travel approx 39 miles to work each way - 78 mile roundtrip in a diesel car averaging about 45mpg. I think in a 20 day month it will cost approx £200-210 ish upfront. I can claim 40ppm (haven't really started on my 10k allowance yet) so would pay myself expenses of £600pm so I'd be £400 up on the deal though obviously it's coming off my top line.

Train:
    Season Ticket of 266.90 per month from Bradford to Wakefield, Bonuses: pretty much runs from door to door, less stress and time to do 45 mins work on the train each way. I'm not clear on what expenses I can claim for train journey's?

Can anyone throw their thoughts / experiences into the ring?

Thanks
    Last edited by Rivendell; 25 January 2011, 19:50.

Mileage of 40ppm/25ppm covers not only business fuel but also wear and tear.

With your train journey, you can claim your travel to and from the train station, car parking and train ticket (class of travel is up to you).

Things to consider is whether you want to rack up all that mileage on your personal car along with the stress and tiredness of driving 78 mile round trip everyday compared to the stress free journey on the train. From a commercial and work point of view, you could also be catching up on 45 mins of work on the train that you couldn't do whilst driving

Comment

And make sure you're insured for business mileage...

Comment

Originally posted by Rivendell View Post
        Another question from yours truly. At the risk of sounding like I'm too lazy to work things out for myself (I'm not really - honest!) I'm finding it useful to bounce ideas of the more seasoned contractor out there (I have just got my first one!).

So.....
        Car:
        I need to travel approx 39 miles to work each way - 78 mile roundtrip in a diesel car averaging about 45mpg. I think in a 20 day month it will cost approx £200-210 ish upfront. I can claim 40ppm (haven't really started on my 10k allowance yet) so would pay myself expenses of £600pm so I'd be £400 up on the deal though obviously it's coming off my top line.

Train:
        Season Ticket of 266.90 per month. Bonuses: pretty much runs from door to door, less stress and time to do 45 mins work on the train each way. I'm not clear on what expenses I can claim for train journey's?

Can anyone throw their thoughts / experiences into the ring?

Thanks
        How long does the car journey take?

I imagine it is longer than 45 mins, so that plus being able to read a book, do some work etc on the train, wear and tear on the car, makes the train a clear winner for me.

Comment

Being a contractor doesn’t mean everything in your life has to be dictated by the “bottom line”….

Just go for the one that is better for your health and general well being...no point saving £x if you end up stressed and tired when you get home…

Comment

If you can get seat on the train and the journey is roughly the same via both methods then take the train.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

thanks all - wise words and much appreciated.

Like someone said, my sanity is kind of important to me - so train it shall be!

Comment

If you really value your sanity, it would love to travel first class too...

Comment

Working...
                X