• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No UK shareholder allowed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No UK shareholder allowed?

Having a limited company in the UK and the director working in the UK, if the director decides to add a shareholder to the company and the second person is a non-UK resident and never has been UK resident, is this ok?

This person will receive dividends which i know would be fine if they are a UK taxpayer (watching out for S660), but what if they are not?

You can add who you like, so it's not an issue from that point of view. It makes no difference that they are not UK resident from your company point of view either. Their own tax situation will depend on where they are resident and what the double taxation treaty for that country says.

I'd suggest you get professional advice based upon what you want to acheive and taking everyone's full tax situations into account.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

I have done this for a “plan B” limited company (not the one I use for contracting). I’m in UK and 2 other shareholders are abroad. Discussed with my accountant and according to him no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
        Having a limited company in the UK and the director working in the UK, if the director decides to add a shareholder to the company and the second person is a non-UK resident and never has been UK resident, is this ok?

This person will receive dividends which i know would be fine if they are a UK taxpayer (watching out for S660), but what if they are not?
        Advice required.

This is definitely one of those situations where HMRC might decide to disregard this structure (i'm sure there is an official term) and tax the director as though you paid yourself.

Will the other shareholder be paying fair value for the shares?

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
          I have done this for a “plan B” limited company (not the one I use for contracting). I’m in UK and 2 other shareholders are abroad. Discussed with my accountant and according to him no issues.
          If set up like this and not a one man personal services company then your accountant is probably right.....

Comment

Working...
          X