• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mid month VAT registration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid month VAT registration

Is it possible to register a company for VAT for a date that fall sin the middle of a month (ie. the beginning of a contract) or does it have to fall at the beginning of a month/quarter?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

You can register at any point, it just means your first return will be slightly longer - say 20 December 2010 to 31 March 2011. Quarter dates from then on will always fall at the end of the month.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

So if I wanted to have registered on Aug 19th and my accountant registered me on August 1st - why would they have done that?

I have first half of August invoices I didn't charge VAT for as I wasn't registered at the time. I'm not going to go back to previous client and ask for backdated VAT am I supposed to pay it myself? Isn't that a bit messy?

Why would my accountants have registered me at the beginning of the month instead of the coomecement of a new contract on the 19th which I requested?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        So if I wanted to have registered on Aug 19th and my accountant registered me on August 1st - why would they have done that?

I have first half of August invoices I didn't charge VAT for as I wasn't registered at the time. I'm not going to go back to previous client and ask for backdated VAT am I supposed to pay it myself? Isn't that a bit messy?

Why would my accountants have registered me at the beginning of the month instead of the coomecement of a new contract on the 19th which I requested?
        It sounds like you need to go back and ask your accountant - there's no reason they could not have put the 19th if that's what you asked for (providing you didn't go over the VAT limit).

It's actually quite normal to not charge VAT then go back and raise a VAT only invoice when the registration comes through, although this is usually when you first start and the company is in the process of being set up.

Give your accountant a call.
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
        X