• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend and personal income tax accrual

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend and personal income tax accrual

Assuming that I am just over the 40% income threshold and am about to pay myself an £8000 dividend.

How much of the 8k should I put aside for personal tax.

1. £8000 * 22.5%
    2. £8000 * (10/9) * 22.5%
    3. Something else?

Thanks in advance.

"WTF are you doing paying any higher rate tax? You should be ......." comments are banned.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

£8000 x 25% = £2000.

Comment

Originally posted by rmmc View Post
      £8000 x 25% = £2000.
      OK thats the same as option 2, thanks.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by rmmc View Post
        £8000 x 25% = £2000.
        Can you explain why? He has already paid 21% tax - Dont you pay the additional (19%) making a total of 40%?

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
          Can you explain why? He has already paid 21% tax - Dont you pay the additional (19%) making a total of 40%?
          No.

The company has paid the 21% corporation tax, not the individual.

The higher rate of tax for dividends (assuming the £150K threshold is not an issue) is 32.5%, of the gross dividend, less the 10% tax credit leaves 22.5% of the gross dividend or 25% of the net dividend.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            Assuming that I am just over the 40% income threshold and am about to pay myself an £8000 dividend.

How much of the 8k should I put aside for personal tax.

1. £8000 * 22.5%
            2. £8000 * (10/9) * 22.5%
            3. Something else?

Thanks in advance.

"WTF are you doing paying any higher rate tax? You should be ......." comments are banned.
            2 (25% of the net). Unless you are > 150k.

Dividends and the Higher Rate Taxpayer > Need help completing your UK tax return ?
            Limited company dividends - how much tax to pay?

Comment

Or between £100K and £112,950 in which case it is 46% of the net.

Comment

Working...
              X