• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Question

On the Flat Rate scheme, online from HMRC it states for box 6

Box 6: your flat rate turnover for the period
    Enter in Box 6 the flat rate turnover - including VAT - that you applied your flat rate percentage to. For example, if your flat rate turnover for the period is £10,000 and your percentage is 8 per cent then you would enter £10,000 in Box 6 and 8 per cent of £10,000 - that is, £800 - in Box 1. Don't forget to include in your flat rate turnover supplies that are exempt from VAT like rent

However on the back of the form it says

In box 6 show the value excluding VAT of your total outputs........

Which one is it? Inputs including VAT or Excluding VAT
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Including VAT.

The form is set up for the standard rate VAT scheme, they never issued a different form for flat rate VAT people. Just ignore the instruction on the form and follow the advice from online HMRC.

As an aside, you could look into filing returns online as it gives you extra time to file. All companies will need to do this soon anyway, and it gives you the chance to set up a DD to pay the VAT too.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      Including VAT.

The form is set up for the standard rate VAT scheme, they never issued a different form for flat rate VAT people. Just ignore the instruction on the form and follow the advice from online HMRC.

As an aside, you could look into filing returns online as it gives you extra time to file. All companies will need to do this soon anyway, and it gives you the chance to set up a DD to pay the VAT too.
      Awww bugger! Followed what the form said and posted it already!!

What a stupid bloody system to have the incorrect instructions on the back. The VAT think they owe me about 800 quid - I think I know why now as my VAT returns from Yonks ago would have been the total excluding VAT. At least I have paid the correct amount.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
      X