• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spanish bank account and UK Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish bank account and UK Ltd

I would like to use for my new contract with an agency the spanish bank account of my UK Ltd company but the agency says that they can´t because this is illegal and that it must be a UK company bank account.

This is the first time that I ear it and I thought that it wouldn´t have any problem due to the Spanish- British Legal Agreement.

Any idea?

Translation of Agency Speak: We don't want to do it and there's not much you can do about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Translation of Agency Speak: We don't want to do it and there's not much you can do about that.
      Nonsense! When they say "it's illegal" they obviously mean that it's clearly in breach of Section nn of the xxxxxxxx Act of yyyy. All you have to do is ask them to provide the details and I'm sure they'll oblige.

Or they're a shower of useless coonts.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
        I would like to use for my new contract with an agency the spanish bank account of my UK Ltd company but the agency says that they can´t because this is illegal and that it must be a UK company bank account.

This is the first time that I ear it and I thought that it wouldn´t have any problem due to the Spanish- British Legal Agreement.

Any idea?
        Sorry, more seriously, what are they saying is illegal? Them doing business with someone with a Spanish bank account? I do that all the time.

You invoice, they pay. And the problem is?

Comment

Would have thought this also broke EU guidelines (their information that is, not what you want to do)

There must be some EU commissioner you can report them to ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul

Any idea?
            Where the company keeps its money is none of their business. I can't see what the problem is - unless you are asking to be paid in EURO?

Comment

get them to send u a cheque, then u can do what u like with it.

Comment

Originally posted by morphman
                get them to send u a cheque, then u can do what u like with it.
                Indeed. Let them run their business, and leave you to run yours.

PS The same goes for me: don't let me or anyone else here tell you how to run your business! We don't lose out if the agency, however mistakenly, don't take you on because of this. But I would like to hear them say who would be breaking what law by doing what.

Comment

Big thanks for all the comments!

This is the info I finnally sent to the agency after taking into account your comments. Let's see what they answer :-)

Big thanks for all the comments!

After checking concerning the UK ltd with UK ltd's Spanish business account. I got the info that it is completely legal.

I thrust the info I got. So please either request your accounting dept. to give exact info like "It is in breach of Section nn of the xxxxxxxx Act of yyyy." or if not proceed as it has been requested to make the contract with (my company) Ltd instead of an extension of existing contract with previous management company.

In any case if the bank transfer to the Spanish account of (my company) Ltd is a problem for you, then think about issuing a cheque. But make your accounting people to be informed properly as there is nothing illegal in what I requested.

Waiting to hear you back.

Comment

Actually it is illegal for them to refuse on the basis that it is a Spanish bank account and/or company. EU law and all that Jazz

But yes have seen this before, as one semi honest agent (rare but they do exist) explained to me a few years ago it is because IR do unofficial scare tactics on the agencys, if they accept contactors using non UK companys/accounts they best be prepared for the tax investigation from hell

Comment

Working...
                    X