• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period at end of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period at end of contract

Does the client co/agent have any legal obligation to tell you they are NOT going to renew your contract with the notice period specified in the contract, or do they generally just let it drift to a contactual end.

My view is it would be polite to let me know, but wasn't sure if it was required.

Hypothetically speaking if I have a friend whose contract expires on 12th November, would they expect to recieve some official notification around 28 days prior to this saying they were not going to be renewed in line with their contractual notice period.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 1 October 2010, 07:27.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

I wouldn't have thought so. My contracts and I guess others have a line in there about there being no obligation on either side to continue the contract beyone the current agreement. So it also works that you can give them no notice that you're leaving at the end of it too.

I've had clients who haven't renewed until a day or two before the end and some that have renewed a few days after I've left.

Comment

You got your "notice period" notification when you signed the contract, aka the contract end.

It would be polite (and wise) to notify the contractor if they wish to continue doing business with them after this period the earliest possible (in case the contractor starts looking for and gets something else) but there is no actual requirement to notify them at any particular point (unless contract states otherwise, which never seen it do)

Best generally to assume no renewal until told otherwise and look for new contract then if you get renewal offer you have a good bargaining position if you have alternative contract waiting

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Does the client co/agent have any legal obligation to tell you they are NOT going to renew your contract with the notice period specified in the contract, or do they generally just let it drift to a contactual end.
        They do all sorts. My latest one got renewed 6 weeks out. I've had plenty where they renew it the day after it expires.

I find that best practice is to approach them at about 4 weeks out and ask if they intend to renew. If they are positive about renewing then I give them a gentle warning that I'm not looking to take a break from working and if they don't come up with the paperwork promptly then I will have to start looking at other opportunities and might well find one I like more than the current one.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I find a 'Just a reminder that my contract ends next week' email works.

Comment

Originally posted by DrEvil View Post
            I've had clients who haven't renewed until a day or two before the end and some that have renewed a few days after I've left.
            I had one where the client said right from the interview that there would be no renewal, yet on the last day they offered another stint. I'd found something else by then.

At another client the default was that you would get a renewal. They would let you know at least a couple of months in advance if no renewal was in the offing. They didn't have to, but they understood things like giving notice on apartments.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I can never understand threads like this one.

Just ask the client 4 to 6 weeks (or earlier if you wish) before the contracted end date whether they intend to extend.

Termination clauses are for ending the contract early not going full term. Its not rocket science FFS.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X