• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it possible to fire my agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efinery View Post
    the agent is taking a cut of just over 21% which is ridiculous. Certain managers have no problem taking me on though another agency, but the contracts team are quite strict, so there seems to be no way around this, unless I wait out the 6 month clause.
    20% is way too much after a year. They can drop that to 10%, no sweat.

As for the 6 month clause, did you opt out of the employment agency regs? If you didn't opt out then they can't enforce that clause against you....
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Can I fire my Agency?

Originally posted by efinery View Post
      I'm an experienced Java contractor, and I'm just coming to the end of my third contract with the same company. There is the offer of plenty more work with the same company, however I'm really not happy with the agency who placed me. Amongst other complaints, such as blatant lies, and taking a more than generous margin (which they don't realise I know), twice they have made serious accounting errors, one caught by my accountant when doing my end of year, and one caught be me which I could easily have overlooked had I not mistrusted them. I find this inexcusable considering I only submit 12 invoices a year. Am I bound to my initial agent if I want to continue with the same company? Does anyone out there have any experience with changing agencies, or have any advice?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Hugh
      The simple answer is, no you can't. What the Agency earns from Clientco. is none of your business - good luck to them for earning 21%, but Clientco knew that when they signed up. Believe you me, it's nothing to do with your skillset, or how well you are doing. You are replaceable, probably for someone who is on the bench and willing to take less.

So at least you know what your agency is capable of, so keep on their case 12 times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It depends strongly on your relationship with the client and their relationship with the supplier.

If the client is willing to take you on directly and the agency has a number of contractors at same place, then there may be an opportunity to negotiate or for the client to leverage the situation.

Alternatively, colluding with a client to go and work for them directly saving then 10% and you gaining 10% by taking the agent out of the way only works if the agent doesn't find out or their relationship is weak.

I have gone direct on at least three occassions I can think of. Once by not telling the agency, once by paying a release fee and once by getting the client to tell the agent to clear off due to poor service. All three worked at the time.

Can I ask what they considered poor service? I can't imagine any agency being as bad as mine.

Comment

Working...
        X