• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming back after 5 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming back after 5 years

Hi everyone...

I think my situation may be a unique one (or maybe not) ... anyway .. apologies if this is posted in the wrong place and thanks in advance for any help

I'm a UK citizen and I've been contracting since 1998. However for the last 5 years I've been contracting abroad and have an offshore company (in Dubai).

I don't have a UK company anymore.

I'm thinking of doing a 3 month contract in the UK... and have the following questions...

1) I don't think I fall under IR35... But what would be the IR35 situation?
    2) I'm sure my Dubai based company can bill the agent directly and just pay me a small sustenance here... right? (the money can stay offshore.. no intention of bringing it to the UK)
    3) Do agents send money offshore?
    4) How would VAT be handled?

Other facts that could be important (or I think them to be)...

My Dubai based company actually employs a team of people and has a real office
    I've not real intention of doing more than 3 months in the UK
    In the last 5 years I've only been back to the UK for a 10-15 days year (if that)

Once again thanks in advance.

S Kumar

Originally posted by OjoFlaquis View Post
    Hi everyone...

I think my situation may be a unique one (or maybe not) ... anyway .. apologies if this is posted in the wrong place and thanks in advance for any help

I'm a UK citizen and I've been contracting since 1998. However for the last 5 years I've been contracting abroad and have an offshore company (in Dubai).

I don't have a UK company anymore.

I'm thinking of doing a 3 month contract in the UK... and have the following questions...

1) I don't think I fall under IR35... But what would be the IR35 situation?
    2) I'm sure my Dubai based company can bill the agent directly and just pay me a small sustenance here... right? (the money can stay offshore.. no intention of bringing it to the UK)
    3) Do agents send money offshore?
    4) How would VAT be handled?

Other facts that could be important (or I think them to be)...

My Dubai based company actually employs a team of people and has a real office
    I've not real intention of doing more than 3 months in the UK
    In the last 5 years I've only been back to the UK for a 10-15 days year (if that)

Once again thanks in advance.

S Kumar
    Doubtful IR35 will apply if its only three months and your not planning on extending past that - that's not really long enough for them to determine if you look like an employee or not.

Depends on the agent if they will send the money offshore or not - some can be real cranky

If you have been out of the UK tax system for a full financial year (which by the sounds of it you have) you can do what you want with the money anyway. you have earnt it abroad.

There are only 2 things really to take into consideration - if your Dubai company can invoice for the work and if the agency will allow it.

Comment

Thank you - That really helps

Comment

Working...
      X