• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Trading As"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trading As"

What are the legal aspects of using a trading as? Does anyone have any experience of this?

In addition, if I have a co set up and defined as a certain type of business, how critical is it to actually perform that type of business? Would Co House care?

I have a Co registered for my plan B but have identified a plan C that I want to give priority. Plan C is a totally different business sector to plan B. What I was hoping to do was use Co B but trading as C and that way avoid having to register another company. Plan B will still go ahead later.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

TIA

You can use a trading name, but you must still display the limited compay name on all stationery as you do now.

As long as there are no restrictions in the company Articles then you can do most things, simply update the SIC code the next time you file your annual return to add a further category if necessary.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

If the OP's Ltd is VAT registered, how would that be affected by trading in a completely different sector?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        If the OP's Ltd is VAT registered, how would that be affected by trading in a completely different sector?
        It won't for normal VAT. For flat rate you might change the percentage based on the new business:

"4.7 What if the balance between parts of my business changes?
        If the balance changes but you continue to do all the same activities, carry on using the percentage that was appropriate at the start of the year until the anniversary of you joining the scheme. Review the balance between the parts of the business each year. Make this review for the first day of the VAT period in which the anniversary of you joining the scheme falls. If on that date the balance has changed, or you expect it to change over the year ahead, switch to the trade sector for the larger portion of your expected business.

This may also mean that your flat rate changes. If this occurs use the new flat rate from the start of the VAT period in which your anniversary falls; not just from the anniversary to the end of the period."

HM Revenue & Customs
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
        X