• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not happy with Nixon Williams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    Sunil

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with us but as you have raised this on here I will respond.

1. We received an email from you dated 30/06/10 at 17:05 raising a problem. We replied to you today 01/07/10 at 10:16
    So Sunil is expecting his accountant, who has many clients, to drop everything and respond in less than 25 minutes? I wonder what his SLA is with Nixon Williams.

2. The problem appears to have occurred when we chased for payment of our fees, although you have been a client since April, you have not yet paid our fees.
    A Client for about 3 months and the OP hasn't paid? I'm surprised you have bothered to reply to the OP to be honest.

3. We have not received any paperwork from you, ie invoices, bank statements, expenses etc.
    Shocking.

4. You claimed that the delay in obtaining a VAT number meant that you could not issue an invoice. Not having a VAT number will not prevent you from issuing an invoice.
    When I first started contracting, I didn't know I could raise an invoice and then backdate the VAT amount until a later invoice. But your point is valid.

5. We are here to help and support you but we need information from you and it helps if you pay our fees.

Alan
    I'm surprised that you haven't told the OP that you are withdrawing your services, especially as he is a non-payer of your fees. That's a sign of a good accountant to be honest.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunil View Post
      Well its not about bitching, I am just sharing my personal experience ... and I guess thats what a forum is about right ?
      I guess such sharing will give the critical information for those newbies who are looking at these forums and other blogs for feedback.
      I apologize if my experience seems bitching or hurt you in any sense.
      In my personal experience, anyone who expects an accountant to offer a free service and expects a response in next to no time is often dillusional. Before you signed up to their services, did you ask for a schedule of completion of your company's formation? (i.e. a Timetable of getting everything done for your company?)

If I were you, I would pay your fees and depart company with your accountant gracefully. And don't use the excuse that you haven't been paid, therefore your accountant doesn't get paid. It doesn't wash with a lot of people. Get a grip and get with the programme.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Sunil

Will you give your side of the story or simply now pay your outstanding fees to N/W and give them a public apology ?

Robot

Comment

To add some balance, I would happily recommend Nixon Williams, I've been with them for about 3 years now and I find them to be very helpful, they respond quickly to questions (same day for me), they don't make mistakes and they produce things like personal/company returns quicker than any other accountant I've had (I've been contracting for over 10 years so I've had a few). They do do a lot in the background though so if you want copies of everything they are doing you need to ask. I am very happy with them. That said, I also keep my own spreadsheet records because I am a control freak and like to double check everything.

Comment

Sunil

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with us but as you have raised this on here I will respond.

1. We received an email from you dated 30/06/10 at 17:05 raising a problem. We replied to you today 01/07/10 at 10:16

2. The problem appears to have occurred when we chased for payment of our fees, although you have been a client since April, you have not yet paid our fees.

3. We have not received any paperwork from you, ie invoices, bank statements, expenses etc.

4. You claimed that the delay in obtaining a VAT number meant that you could not issue an invoice. Not having a VAT number will not prevent you from issuing an invoice.

5. We are here to help and support you but we need information from you and it helps if you pay our fees.

Alan

Well Alan, replies to your points below:
            1. This isn't just the email dated dated 30/06/10 at 17:05 .... I have trying to get sorted since months. The same pro-activeness shown in collecting fees was not shown in getting my VAT setup and bank setup sorted.

2. I did pay the first months fee, and since nothing is processed yet and no balance in my company account, how can you expect me to pay, when I am myself in a bad financial state after months without a payment. Obviously I have to wait until everything is in place, and funds flowing in, you cannot expect me to keep paying out of my pocket with no incoming funds ?

3. Invoices and bank statements were not sent , cos of pending VAT certificate and bank welcome pack, which has been going to wrong address due to the mistake from your end while setting it up. So how can I send them where as I have not received them myself.

4. Until recently I was never told that I can raise a invoice without VAT, how am I to know that, you should have made it clear when I was trying to follow up for get my VAT certificate sorted out.

5. Exactly, I have to get paid , only then I can payout the recurring charges ... I have already capped my credit card limits ... Guess I have to borrow money from pals to pay your fees. Or you have to wait until my company account is funded (but I get emails threatening that I will be forwarded to solicitors for recovery).

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
              Sunil

Will you give your side of the story or simply now pay your outstanding fees to N/W and give them a public apology ?

Robot

Well I have already replied to the "points" long back, but since the posts are moderated, they take time to reflect.

b/w I have already paid for the first month initially and obviously I will be paying the pending 2 months... my only request was to wait until the funds are cleared into the company account and then they can direct debit the account.

Comment

you cannot expect me to keep paying out of my pocket with no incoming funds
                Are you being serious?! You expect Nixon Williams to work for free because you have no money, come on they are a business not a charity. I paid fees myself whilst awaiting company bank account and reclaimed on expenses later.

Until recently I was never told that I can raise a invoice without VAT, how am I to know that, you should have made it clear
                Remember you are a business now and you are the one responsible for that business. A quick serach on this forum and you would have found your answer. If you had asked NW directly you would have got the answer. They are not to know you are in financial trouble and need to invoice unless you tell them. No accountancy will hold your hand through eveything that needs to be done. There are lots of getting started contracting guides out there. You should read them asap, they cover this sort of stuff and there are probably other things you are not aware of.

That said, if they made a mistake with your address, then that is not good. But with me they pre-filled out the Cater Allen form (with address) and sent it to me for checking and signing. Is that not what happened with you? Oh and my welcome pack (I assume from Cater Allen) never arrived at all, even with the correct address. You can call Cater Allen here 0800 092 3300 to request a new pack and get your address sorted.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 10 February 2022, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunil View Post
                  Well Alan, replies to your points below:
                  1. This isn't just the email dated dated 30/06/10 at 17:05 .... I have trying to get sorted since months. The same pro-activeness shown in collecting fees was not shown in getting my VAT setup and bank setup sorted.

2. I did pay the first months fee, and since nothing is processed yet and no balance in my company account, how can you expect me to pay, when I am myself in a bad financial state after months without a payment. Obviously I have to wait until everything is in place, and funds flowing in, you cannot expect me to keep paying out of my pocket with no incoming funds ?

3. Invoices and bank statements were not sent , cos of pending VAT certificate and bank welcome pack, which has been going to wrong address due to the mistake from your end while setting it up. So how can I send them where as I have not received them myself.

4. Until recently I was never told that I can raise a invoice without VAT, how am I to know that, you should have made it clear when I was trying to follow up for get my VAT certificate sorted out.

5. Exactly, I have to get paid , only then I can payout the recurring charges ... I have already capped my credit card limits ... Guess I have to borrow money from pals to pay your fees. Or you have to wait until my company account is funded (but I get emails threatening that I will be forwarded to solicitors for recovery).
                  Just WOW... You really don't get it do you...

I suppose this is the reason why we end up with IR35... You are meant to be a BUSINESS... Act like one...

Been with Nixon Williams for two years now and besides one hiccup, perfect service... Would happily recommend them...

Comment

Sunil,

If you cannot be bothered to do a bit of research yourself by reading the beginners guides, searching the forum, talking to your accountant on the phone when there is a problem with their services and chasing a bank to find out why they haven't opened an account, you really need to think about whether you are cut out to run a business.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Sunil,

If you cannot be bothered to do a bit of research yourself by reading the beginners guides, searching the forum, talking to your accountant on the phone when there is a problem with their services and chasing a bank to find out why they haven't opened an account, you really need to think about whether you are cut out to run a business.

Comment

Working...
                      X