• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living abroad working in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living abroad working in the UK

Hi all, I wanted to get some opinions on my situation from the group here. I have been living in France for the last three years. Have a house with my family, dog, child in the local school etc. I declare tax in France but have been doing all my work (permie) in the UK so paying tax and NI in the UK and get a nil tax bill from the local taxman each year. The tax position is clear in that the UK and French tax offices accept all work is being done for a UK client in the UK, so my complete tax liability is in the UK. Each year I get a new E106 which takes care of health etc. cover in France, courtesy of the EU social contributions agreement between member states.

So now my position is changing. I am (its a long story) going to work for my current employer as a contractor. I accept I will fall within IR35. So I am thinking limited company and then claim expenses. I have an empty flat in the UK from which my tenant has moved out. So I plan to use the flat as my base when in the UK for work. I will travel back to the UK every week but will be seeing various clients based alll over the UK. So I am almost never on the same client site two weeks in a row and never attend the the office of my employer. I travel to the UK, stay over in my flat and then drive 2-3 hours to the client I am seeing that week.

Before moving to France I lived in the Uk for 9 years and I am a UK national. So my questions are -
    1. Can I claim travel expenses from home in France to the UK?
    2. Can I claim the mortgage interest and utilities at the UK flat as expenses?

Any opinions or advice will be appreciated. By the way, I have spoken to quite a few UK and one French accountant and I have been given contradictory advice, hence the post in an attempt to clarify what expenses would be allowed.

I see that no one has replied to this - there was a similar thread a few weeks ago. My view will be posted on the home page in a few days - after the budget has died down .... perhaps Thursday or Friday .. I'll post a message here with the link idc ..

Bob

Comment

Bob's reply has been published on the home page

Contractors' Questions: Can I claim travel expenses from home in France to the UK? :: Contractor UK

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
        Hi all, I wanted to get some opinions on my situation from the group here. I have been living in France for the last three years. Have a house with my family, dog, child in the local school etc. I declare tax in France but have been doing all my work (permie) in the UK so paying tax and NI in the UK and get a nil tax bill from the local taxman each year. The tax position is clear in that the UK and French tax offices accept all work is being done for a UK client in the UK, so my complete tax liability is in the UK. Each year I get a new E106 which takes care of health etc. cover in France, courtesy of the EU social contributions agreement between member states.
        Hi there I am interested in obtaining the e106, which is now called the s1. From your post I don't follow if you got the e106 from the UK or for the UK. If the UK issued it, where you paying yourself a minimum salary and not paying NIC because you hadn't reached the threshold. I pay myself minimum salary with a dividend and avoid NIC but would like to get the E106 so I dont have to pay health coverage in another country when I do contract work elsewhere.
        thanks for any insight you might have or can offer

Comment

Working...
        X