• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Equipment purchases prior to starting Ltd Co.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment purchases prior to starting Ltd Co.

I started a Ltd Co earlier this year but prior to that I was working under an umbrella co.

I purchased equipment (laptop, disk drive, etc) before starting my Ltd Co and which are now used as part of generating income for that Co.

Can I include the purchase costs of these items as expenses on equipment under my Ltd Co or do I need to 'sell' these items to the business so it owns them as assets ?

Originally posted by mavster07 View Post
    I started a Ltd Co earlier this year but prior to that I was working under an umbrella co.

I purchased equipment (laptop, disk drive, etc) before starting my Ltd Co and which are now used as part of generating income for that Co.

Can I include the purchase costs of these items as expenses on equipment under my Ltd Co or do I need to 'sell' these items to the business so it owns them as assets ?
    I did that under guidance of accountant, it wasn't ideal but as it was only a few months before I started the company they thought it was ok. I think if you purchased the items 2 years before you'd have trouble. But in that case you could just sell to your company.

Comment

The items would need to be sold to the company for their current market value. Given the items will have depreciated in value since they are now secondhand, I would recommend trying to have some evidence to support their value. A good way of doing this is via eBay. If you can find a similar item on eBay, it is worth printing out the final sale price and using this to support the amount you sell them to your company for.

Comment

Did you buy the equipment whilst working under brolly or did you buy it for the sole intention of the ltd co? If it was whilst you were brolly, sell it back to the company at a value you think it would fetch if you sold it now.

If it was purposely for the ltd co then claim it as equipment and don't worry about it.

Comment

You can sell to the Company. Include software costs also. Just estimate market value.

Comment

Originally posted by Stag Cozier View Post
            Did you buy the equipment whilst working under brolly or did you buy it for the sole intention of the ltd co? If it was whilst you were brolly, sell it back to the company at a value you think it would fetch if you sold it now.

If it was purposely for the ltd co then claim it as equipment and don't worry about it.
            Actually it was both but primarily the latter........its mainly assets like laptops and monitors and all that bizzo....

Comment

I have also done the same thing. I have a list of expenses to pay back to myself once there is enough money in the LTD to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
                I have also done the same thing. I have a list of expenses to pay back to myself once there is enough money in the LTD to do it.
                Did you reclaim input VAT back on these items ?

Comment

if you are a contractor, it is normally beneficial to be on the flat rate vat scheme

Comment

Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
                    if you are a contractor, it is normally beneficial to be on the flat rate vat scheme
                    What I didn't realise till too late is that you can claim back VAT on items bought during the 6 months before you joined the flat rate scheme. So purchase equipment before joining the scheme.

Comment

Working...
                    X