• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE underpayment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE underpayment

Hello all,

I just got a call from my accountant that there is an underpayment in my PAYE. The inland revenue called them up and told them that. So I investigated the emails I had from my accountant and figured out that they advised me on the PAYE amount and basically it was their fault.
    Now I am very very annoyed, cause I am always on time paying everything and this could increase my risk of being investigated.
    I am sooo annoyed.. this is meant to be one of the best accounting firms as well!!
    I have a conf call with my accountant tomorrow morning to discuss this, I am thinking of telling them that I want a month free or something due to this mistake. What do you guys think?

If the accountants accept the mistake, rectify it and pay and charges then no harm done.

I got an email from my accountants saying that they had a letter saying my PAYE was overdue.
    I checked the payment date online with my bank and with the date the accountants said it was due by and they matched.

However the date my accountants gave me was 18th May intsead of 18th April. They accepted it was their problem and sorted it there and then.

Its a mistake and it happens.

Comment

My concern is that what if it is a reason for me being investigated by HMRC?
      I don't think there are any fines at this point. BUt I think I will ask them for a month free or something.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        Its a mistake and it happens.
        Part of being human beings I'm afraid. If we make a mistake we own up and rectify the situation, crediting any penalties levied.

Wait to hear their explanation (it will be the P35 that has brought up the issue) and don't rant and rave, you'll probably get a better result...nobody likes being shouted at

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
          Part of being human beings I'm afraid. If we make a mistake we own up and rectify the situation, crediting any penalties levied.

Wait to hear their explanation (it will be the P35 that has brought up the issue) and don't rant and rave, you'll probably get a better result...nobody likes being shouted at
          Are you an accountant? If yes, please send me a private message with your details

Comment

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
            Are you an accountant? If yes, please send me a private message with your details
            Yes we are indeed. I will pm you

Comment

You've been given some very good advice and I would take it.

If your accountant has been running your affairs so far without any problems then, IMHO, it would be rash to kick up a b g fuss over what by the sounds of it is a genuine human error.

I'm sure you will be able to resolve this amicably tomorrow on your conference call.

Not sure it warrants compensation as, from what I can see, there doesn't seem to be any harm done - do you really want to potentially tarnish a good relationship over one months fees?

Comment

Working...
              X