• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat-rating and pricey laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Just to be clear,

Are you guys saying that as a flat Rate Scheme VAT payer. if you have a buy capital expenditures (on same receipt) Totaling £2000 exclusive of VAT then I can reclaim the VAT back?

How do I do that?.

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

^ Talk to you accountant

Originally posted by lukeredpath View Post
      If you're an iPad/iPhone developer...yes. Which I am.
      Hey, me too

Although no VAT back on mine, since I brought it in the USA. Still get some expenses benefits on it though, so all good.

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      I'd also consider getting RAM from Crucial, so does it all have to be from one supplier, or if I can demonstrate it's all going in the same box, can I buy RAM from Crucial, external drives from Scan, and an iMac from Apple?
      You won't believe me, but Apple charged me some £40 less to fit 8GB of RAM in my Macbook Pro than Crucial! I know Apple have a rep for pricey ram upgrades, but worth checking in with them.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        Hi, Just to be clear,

Are you guys saying that as a flat Rate Scheme VAT payer. if you have a buy capital expenditures (on same receipt) Totaling £2000 exclusive of VAT then I can reclaim the VAT back?

How do I do that?.
        Yes you can claim the VAT back. You need to fill in your VAT return appropriately. If you're not sure how to do that then I suggest speaking to your accountant. Otherwise I'm sure there's some help online somewhere.
        Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
          Yes you can claim the VAT back. You need to fill in your VAT return appropriately. If you're not sure how to do that then I suggest speaking to your accountant. Otherwise I'm sure there's some help online somewhere.
          Ok, I was just now aware that it was possible to have input tax on VAT returns for Flat Rate Scheme

Does that mean First year Allowance will have to be on the Gross amount if I am claiming back the VAT?.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
            Ok, I was just now aware that it was possible to have input tax on VAT returns for Flat Rate Scheme

Does that mean First year Allowance will have to be on the Gross amount if I am claiming back the VAT?.
            Capital Allowances will be based upon the value of the asset in the accounts - if you're claiming the VAT back then this will be the net amount.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
              Capital Allowances will be based upon the value of the asset in the accounts - if you're claiming the VAT back then this will be the net amount.
              cheers, I meant net

Comment

Working...
              X