• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on bank interest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on bank interest?

Just a quick Question is VAT due on bank interest?

Before you say ask your accountant, i notice on my former calculations by accountant that some quarters they have included bank interest and some they have not.

new accountant say bank interest is not subject to payment of VAT onflat rate scheme.
    any pointers welcome...

Originally posted by diesel View Post
    Just a quick Question is VAT due on bank interest?

Before you say ask your accountant, i notice on my former calculations by accountant that some quarters they have included bank interest and some they have not.

new accountant say bank interest is not subject to payment of VAT onflat rate scheme.
    any pointers welcome...
    On the FRS, HMRC say to include all your co's turnover in the calculation. The interest on any company bank account is included as part of your T \ O.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      On the FRS, HMRC say to include all your co's turnover in the calculation. The interest on any company bank account is included as part of your T \ O.
      I second that.

Comment

I phoned the VAT people about this sometime ago and they said no.

ZED.

Comment

You've asked two questions - is VAT payable on interest, and is bank interest subject to payment of VAT on Flat Rate scheme.

To answer the first one, no, VAT is not payable on interest. Interest is an exempt supply and so is not normally included in VAT calculations.

However, the answer to your second question is yes, interest is included int he calculation of your turnover for the Flat Rate Scheme.

Refer your accountant here for HMRC's guide to FRS. Specifically, section 6.2 where it states

What must I include in my flat rate turnover?

Your flat rate turnover is all the supplies your business makes, including VAT. This means all of the following:

* the VAT inclusive sales and takings for standard rate, zero rate and reduced rate supplies
          * the value of exempt supplies, such as rent or lottery commission. You can find out more about exempt income in Notice 700 The VAT Guide
          * supplies of capital expenditure goods, unless they are supplies on which VAT has to be calculated outside the flat rate scheme in accordance with paragraph 15.9 and
          * the value of any despatches to other Member States of the EC if you are making intra EC supplies. For details see Notice 725 The Single Market.

Note: As exempt and zero rate supplies are included in flat rate turnover you apply the flat rate percentage to the exempt and zero rate turnover. You may pay more VAT by being on the scheme if these supplies are a larger proportion of your business turnover than the average for your trade sector.

Comment

Working...
          X