• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Free Cycle Programme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Free Cycle Programme?

Anyone done this through their Ltd?

http://www.taxfreecycle.com/

<mod>moved to Accounting/Legal</mod>

Yip, bought the wife a bike through it few years back. She is company secretary. Quite limited from what i remember as it was only up to the value of something like £350 ...

Comment

You don't need to register under a scheme, just have your company buy a bike. As long as it's used for work it'll be 100% deductible in the first year.

If I recall correctly when you cycle to work the company can also buy you breakfast - HMRC's cunning plan to get more people being green!
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Alternatively if you buy the bike yourself you are able to claim 20p/mile cycling allowance for using your own personal bike - that might work out better than the tax deduction (depending on how much the bike is).

edit: incidentally, the reason that the scheme itself is not so beneficial for contractors is that as both employer and employee you're unlikely to benefit quite so much from the NI deductions, particularly if you're paying minimum salary already as you can't deduct below that level.
        Last edited by Ravello; 16 April 2010, 16:32.
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

As Ravelio pointed out the Cycle scheme works on salary sacrifice. I think it is bit time consuming to run the scheme. I have had just one enquiry since cycle scheme started.

Comment

Working...
          X