• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Start Up Shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start Up Shares

Hi all,

Just a quickie...

I have started my ltd company with 100 shares at 0.01gbp all allocated to myself.

Now....i have read conflicting views as to how many and at what value you should have shares at start up....

any opinions here?

Thanks
    Gpc

it's up to you really.

But issuing all the shares on day 1 means you have limited any future options with regard to selling shares to your partner, getting new share capital etc

Me, I have 1000 allocated £1 shares and 2 £1 issued shares.
    Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

It's entirely up to you, you can have 1 £1 share or 100 £1 shares, it just means that you owe the company that amount. If you're the sole shareholder then you own 100% of the company no matter what.

For accounting purposes keeping the values in terms of whole pounds is easier, rather than 10 1p shares.

There is no longer an authorised share capital, so you are free to issue future shares at any time you want.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

excellent.......
        Thanks for the advice

Regards
        gpc

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
          It's entirely up to you, you can have 1 £1 share or 100 £1 shares, it just means that you owe the company that amount. If you're the sole shareholder then you own 100% of the company no matter what.

For accounting purposes keeping the values in terms of whole pounds is easier, rather than 10 1p shares.

There is no longer an authorised share capital, so you are free to issue future shares at any time you want.
          WSS

Nothing wrong with what you have done. Just make sure that your accounts disclose the correct shareholdings and share values at the end of the financial year.

Comment

The issuing of new shares is different for companies which are incorporated after October 2009. You can issue new shares with a newer company - there's no limit set when the company is incorporated. But you do need to tell people.
            Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
            X