• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced rate cut ==> outside IR35. True?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforced rate cut ==> outside IR35. True?

A comment on El Reg:

Remember that a negotiation to have a rate cut effectively means that you are no longer within IR35 because it fails the "act like an employee" clause. Employees cannot have enforced pay cuts. So, as a contractor, it is sometimes not a bad idea to accept a rate cut every now and then (whilst looking for a new role) because it gets you out of IR35 and could potentially save 1000's.

If you decide to not take up the offer of a cut; then you also fall outside IR35 because you negotiated but did not agree, a la Mutuality of Obligation.
    I don't think that's true because I don't think "Employees cannot have enforced pay cuts" is true.

Anyway, if one is firmly inside IR35 and suspects an investigation is likely, is it worth begging ClientCo to impose an enforced 5% rate cut?
    If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
    A comment on El Reg:

I don't think that's true because I don't think "Employees cannot have enforced pay cuts" is true.

Anyway, if one is firmly inside IR35 and suspects an investigation is likely, is it worth begging ClientCo to impose an enforced 5% rate cut?
    it is not enforced if you beg for it.

i presume if clientco have to give evidence in court they wont want to lie.

Comment

A comment on El Reg:

Comment

A comment on El Reg:

Employers are allowed to change terms on employees that includes saying that they need to take a pay cut, work 3 days a week for 3 days pay etc. If the employees refuse the employer can then sack them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Employers are allowed to change terms on employees that includes saying that they need to take a pay cut, work 3 days a week for 3 days pay etc. If the employees refuse the employer can then sack them.
          As usual, it's not quite that simple - even Lawyers disagree. I would have thought that if clientco cut contract rates but not permie pay, although not a sole determinant of IR35, it does indicate being treated in a non-permie way.

Comment

Working...
          X