• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been asked to show passport, but I'm using an umbrella - er??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    ... I have now been asked to give the names, telephone numbers/email addresses of my line managers covering the last 5 years. I hope I have done the right thing, as I refused to supply this information.

I have worked on MoD sites, and worked via an umbrella so surely any reference needed for me could be supplied by the umbrella or the other agency?? Also, I am not happy about giving out the names of ANYONE in the MoD!!

I've been told that these references are needed for auditing purposes, and not used for obtaining leads... Am I right to hold my ground here??
    Explain that you are under a non-disclosure agreement, or the Official Secrets Act, but can put them in touch with the agency.

I had to give a reference for this gig (agency insisted on it) - last client refuses (I had to get an email saying that they refused to give one, though!) and previous one was covered by Official Secrets Act. Pointed them to the agency and heard nothing more from them.
    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Thanks Wikir Man!

What concerns me is that I offered to give the names of the agencies who I used, but that was not acceptable (I guess even agents don't trust each other..)

I guess the agent could now terminate my contract as I am refusing to give reference names!?

Comment

Thanks Wikir Man!

What concerns me is that I offered to give the names of the agencies who I used, but that was not acceptable (I guess even agents don't trust each other..)

I guess the agent could now terminate my contract as I am refusing to give reference names!?
        Theoretically, they could terminate the contract. However, I would suggest that it's unlikely - they have found someone, the client wants them to start, and they would be silly to jeopordise that at this stage and have to re-recruit.

Play it back to the that you would like to be able to give them a reference, but it would be ILLEGAL to give them the reference from the government site, and would be a breach of contract for you to disclose anyone else from other clients because of your NDA.

See if you can get contact details for someone from the client from them before arguing too hard - then if they try to pull the contract then explain politely that you will speak to the client and make them aware of why the agency is pulling the contract from them.

It's difficult to tell whether the agency is after leads or not - if they are, then they will not pull the contract. If they believe that they MUST do this to protect the client, then by going through the motions of trying to get references, then they cover themselves with the client just by asking for the references.

Hopefully, it shouldn't take much to get them to see sense, but you never know.

Comment

And the irony is that I'm now getting decent contract offers from a trusted agent, which I'm having to decline.

... the word 'buses' comes to mind!

Comment

And the irony is that I'm now getting decent contract offers from a trusted agent, which I'm having to decline.

... the word 'buses' comes to mind!
            Have you signed the new contract? If not, then keep looking.

When accepting the contract, make sure it's "subject to agreeing the contract terms" which you don't do until you are actually about to start.

I always keep looking until the day before I hit the ground (and sometimes after that!) - first one to get me on-site with a contract that I'm happy to sign wins.

Comment

Standard procedure in loads of companies now especially if they are large ones, is references can only come via the HR department.

So next time an agent asks you explain that you can get them a reference but it will be from the HR department as that is company policy.

Most will give up on you when you say this.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Standard procedure in loads of companies now especially if they are large ones, is references can only come via the HR department.

So next time an agent asks you explain that you can get them a reference but it will be from the HR department as that is company policy.

Most will give up on you when you say this.
                Nice idea - I like that and that's what I shall tell the agency. Thank you!!

Comment

And the story just keeps on getting worse, and worse...

According to Reed Engineering, I am the only contractor to ever want amendments made on their contract!

I asked that the contract end date be changed from "On going" to what we verbally agreed, which is "3 months" simple enough request? No.

Not only was the agent clearly unhappy by the fact that I had to tell them that they should be signed by by umbrella company, but he also wanted me to sign payment forms on behalf of my brolly company. According to the agent, I CAN sign on behalf of the umbrella company!!!

The agent even phoned my brolly to check whether I was wrong, and when he was told he was wrong he went off on one, so it seems that neither I or my brolly company know what we're talking about...

I am a slither away from telling him to stuff his contract where the sun don't shine. If I'm getting all this grief now I can only presume I will always have grief from him.

Comment

I am a slither away from telling him to stuff his contract where the sun don't shine. If I'm getting all this grief now I can only presume I will always have grief from him.
                    Sounds like a plan - keep looking for something else. Anything other than this seems like a good idea.

The agent (and it's probably just the one person at the agency) clearly hasn't got a clue about how the agency-umbrella-contractor relationship works. Move on - and explain to the client why you are moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X