• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brolly problem: employment reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brolly problem: employment reference

Rather than pay hotel bills, I have decided to rent a 1 bed flat near ClientCo.

Renting means a credit & reference check these days and I've just had the feedback: "Your employment contract is for 3 months. You must have an employment contract extending beyond the rental."

ClientCo only does rolling 3 month contracts. The brolly - my employer - will only confirm my employment up to the end of the current extension.

So I cannot rent a flat on a conventional rental, which is a minimum 6 month term.

When I had a LtdCo, I used to give that as my employer, then write the reference myself. I assume many of you have done similar. But you can't do that when you work for a brolly.

So that's yet another reason why I think going brolly is pants.

Going brolly is the worst of all worlds.
    You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
    Put a donk on it!

Originally posted by Nicely Nicely View Post
    Rather than pay hotel bills, I have decided to rent a 1 bed flat near ClientCo.

Renting means a credit & reference check these days and I've just had the feedback: "Your employment contract is for 3 months. You must have an employment contract extending beyond the rental."

ClientCo only does rolling 3 month contracts. The brolly - my employer - will only confirm my employment up to the end of the current extension.

So I cannot rent a flat on a conventional rental, which is a minimum 6 month term.

When I had a LtdCo, I used to give that as my employer, then write the reference myself. I assume many of you have done similar. But you can't do that when you work for a brolly.

So that's yet another reason why I think going brolly is pants.

Going brolly is the worst of all worlds.
    No, it's the UK rental market that sucks.

Try offering a larger deposit and/or full payment in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      No, it's the UK rental market that sucks.

Try offering a larger deposit and/or full payment in advance.
      Thank you, expat. They agreed to take deposit + 3 months rental in advance, instead of deposit + one month in advance.
      You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
      Put a donk on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicely Nicely View Post
        Thank you, expat. They agreed to take deposit + 3 months rental in advance, instead of deposit + one month in advance.
        Glad it worked. I had to do the same once, with 6 months rent, because I was just back from Other Countries Which Don't Count, so had a low score on their credit rating. But the smell of money did the trick.

Edit: I suppose the problem is that most people who tick the same boxes as contractors tend to do, are in general unreliable or short of funds, the problem is convincing them that you are OK as a tenant.

Comment

Working...
        X