• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salary frequency question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary frequency question

Hi

I work for my own Ltd company and intend to pay myself a salary of £5700 for 2010/11. Am I write in assuming that as I am paying myself under both the PAYE and NI thresholds and am a Director of the company, that it doesn't matter at what frequency I pay myself my salary? So, I can pay it annually, weekly or monthly if I like?

Also, do I have to register a PAYE scheme even though I am paying myself below the thresholds?

Finally, am I also right in assuming that if I am 'out of contract' with a client (ie the company is not generating sales), that I can take a break in paying myself the Director's salary, to reduce the costs that the Co is having to meet?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Most common frequency for paying employees is weekly or monthly. However you can chose the frequency you like.

As you are paying above lower earning threshold, you have to file payroll year end forms, so you have to register for paye.

If the company may require to file P11D, expense and benefit forms, then you need to set up paye.

You can take a break from paying salary.

Comment

I could very well be wrong, but I thought that it's considered wise to pay some NI in order to quality for a state pension.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        I could very well be wrong, but I thought that it's considered wise to pay some NI in order to quality for a state pension.
        If you above Lower Earning Threshold of £90 and upto £110 a week you can qualify for basic state pension without paying NIC.

Comment

Working...
        X