• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upper or lower rate PAYE tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You personally will pay income tax at the lower rate on the extra salary, of course you will also pay NI and the employer will.

As for what is paid on the diviends well this is based on total income. This isn't changing so the 'top up' in higher rate tax isn't going to decrease.

Of course there are a whole load of online tax calulators you can play "what if" with.

Comment

I've just put together a quick spreadsheet for this (yes - I know I'm sad).

If you have a salary of £10,000 I get...

Salary £10,000
      Dividends £60,000

Employee NI £471
      Employer NI £1,280
      Salary Income Tax £706
      Dividend Income Tax £12,600
      Div Corporation Tax £5,226
      TOTAL £20,283

Mat. Pay £1,038

Total In £50,755

If you have a salary of £20k I get...

Salary £20,000
      Dividends £50,000

Employee NI £1,571
      Employer NI £2,560
      Salary Income Tax £2,706
      Dividend Income Tax £10,500
      TOTAL £22,563

Mat. Pay £2,077

Total In £49,514

So it looks like you might be best off with the lower salary. Of course my spreadsheet could be wrong! PM me if you'd like me to send you the speadsheet.
      Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        You seems to be under the impression that once you pass the 40% threshold, all your income is taxed at 40%. It isn't. The first 5K ish is income tax free, the next 33K ish is at 20%, and the rest at 40%.

If it was just income tax what you're doing wouldn't make that much difference, but you're voluntarily paying a lot more NI this way.

And get an accountant that you can contact.
        No, I understand that tax is tiered up to the 40% tax band, what I'm not clear on is whether the dividends and PAYE are added together to take me into the higher tax band or if I only have to worry about staying below it with the PAYE part.
        So, to clarify. If I pay myself £25K PAYE and £45K dividends how much tax and NI does the PAYE part attract? Is any of it in the higher band?

Comment

Originally posted by mobwell View Post
          No, I understand that tax is tiered up to the 40% tax band, what I'm not clear on is whether the dividends and PAYE are added together to take me into the higher tax band or if I only have to worry about staying below it with the PAYE part.
          So, to clarify. If I pay myself £25K PAYE and £45K dividends how much tax and NI does the PAYE part attract? Is any of it in the higher band?

If you pay £45k in dividends it's actually £50k for tax purposes. This gives you total income of £75k.

The £25k in PAYE will be taxed first, then the dividend income. Dividends within basic rates are taxed at 10% (but they come with the 10% tax credit, so effectively zero) and dividends that fall into higher rates are taxed at 32.5% (less the 10% tax credit = 22.5%).

Dividends are always taxed last, so no, your PAYE part would not fall into higher rates. But there would be tax due on the dividends that do.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
            I've just put together a quick spreadsheet for this (yes - I know I'm sad).

If you have a salary of £10,000 I get...

Salary £10,000
            Dividends £60,000

Employee NI £471
            Employer NI £1,280
            Salary Income Tax £706
            Dividend Income Tax £12,600
            TOTAL £20,283

Mat. Pay £1,038

Total In £50,755

If you have a salary of £20k I get...

Salary £20,000
            Dividends £50,000

Employee NI £1,571
            Employer NI £2,560
            Salary Income Tax £2,706
            Dividend Income Tax £10,500
            TOTAL £22,563

Mat. Pay £2,077

Total In £49,514

So it looks like you might be best off with the lower salary. Of course my spreadsheet could be wrong! PM me if you'd like me to send you the speadsheet.
            Thanks for that. Very helpful in understanding the income tax and NI implications on an increased PAYE. I'm not clear on the dividend part of your calculations though. I don't know what dividend corporation tax is.

The whole thing is very complicated. If I pay myself more PAYE my company has less profit and hence my corporation tax bill is lower. Also any maternity pay received is also subject to tax and NI so this too needs to be taken into account.

As I understand it PAYE will cost me 31% tax (20% income tax + 11% NI) and the company 12.8% NI.

I think if I'd paid myself as a dividend then I would pay 25%? tax and the company would have paid 22%? corporation tax instead as this is now extra profit.
            Is this right?

If I wanted to increase my maternity pay much higher I could pay myself the extra £10K in my last 2 pay packets as the average weekly earnings is calculated on an 8 week period 15 weeks before birth. If I did this then I'd get £6-7K maternity pay for that 6 week period which my Ltd company could then just claim back from the government, although I assume the employer NI is not claimable.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              What's wrong with taking maternaty pay from your own Ltd?

And as far as being a disguised employee that's bollocks, there is no disguise at all, I am and employee of my Ltd Company, but not of my Ltd Companies clients.
              Ah. You've got confused somewhere. Women going on maternity leave are taking the **** out of the company they work for (with the governments help) and this is the reason I would never consider employing a woman of breeding age.

Obviously the fact you have employed yourself must make this ok and your just deserts, depending how you look at it? lol

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                Maternity pay???????? You madam are a disguised employee!
                Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                What's wrong with taking maternaty pay from your own Ltd?

And as far as being a disguised employee that's bollocks, there is no disguise at all, I am and employee of my Ltd Company, but not of my Ltd Companies clients.
                Ah. You've got confused somewhere. Women going on maternity leave are taking the **** out of the company they work for (with the governments help) and this is the reason I would never consider employing a woman of breeding age.

Obviously the fact you have employed yourself must make this ok and your just deserts, depending how you look at it? lol

Is that really the point you were making or are you now back peddling because you made a mistake?

What is the connection between getting paid maternity pay and being a disguised employee?
                Still Invoicing

Comment

I really hope that that is meant in jest rather than being serious.

Even so, if I own the company, and I take maternity pay (or SSP for that matter), how can I be "taking the **** out of the company"? These things are statutory rights of employees, for goodness sake.
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Thanks for that. Very helpful in understanding the income tax and NI implications on an increased PAYE. I'm not clear on the dividend part of your calculations though. I don't know what dividend corporation tax is.
                    I've looked at all of the tax which you would pay on your money. As dividends are paid out of profit you have to pay corporation tax on the profit before you take the dividends. If you paid it out as salary you wouldn't have to pay the corporation tax.

The whole thing is very complicated. If I pay myself more PAYE my company has less profit and hence my corporation tax bill is lower. Also any maternity pay received is also subject to tax and NI so this too needs to be taken into account.

As I understand it PAYE will cost me 31% tax (20% income tax + 11% NI) and the company 12.8% NI.

I think if I'd paid myself as a dividend then I would pay 25%? tax and the company would have paid 22%? corporation tax instead as this is now extra profit.
                    Is this right?
                    If you pay yourself a dividend then you'll have to pay 21% corporation tax on the profit before you take the dividend (I think it's going up to 22% at some point but I'm not sure when...). For the part of the dividend which comes in below the 40% tax limit (taking into account salary too) you are already considered to have paid the tax due because you paid your corporation tax. For the amount of the dividend over the 40% tax limit you would have to pay an additional 22.5% income tax.

If I wanted to increase my maternity pay much higher I could pay myself the extra £10K in my last 2 pay packets as the average weekly earnings is calculated on an 8 week period 15 weeks before birth. If I did this then I'd get £6-7K maternity pay for that 6 week period which my Ltd company could then just claim back from the government, although I assume the employer NI is not claimable.
                    You don't have to actually increase your salary - you could pay yourself a one off bonus for being such a great employee and as long as it's in the appropriate time period your maternity pay will be calculated including the bonus.

I'm going to go away and crunch my numbers again as I might have underestimated your maternity pay...
                    Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                      I'm going to go away and crunch my numbers again as I might have underestimated your maternity pay...
                      OK. I've changed it so that the bonus is defined separately (rather than my bad assumption that your salary would be paid out evenly over the year) and I've also corrected a couple of other small issues, including the fact that I wasn't calculating the tax/NI for the maternity pay.

Oddly my results seem to indicate that it doesn't matter what you do you still get roughly the same money in - unless you can afford to pay a really large bonus during the qualifying period...

Salary £10,000
                      Bonus £0
                      Dividends £60,000
                      Maternity Pay £1,038

Employee NI £586
                      Employer NI £1,413
                      Salary Income Tax £914
                      Dividend Corp Tax £12,600
                      Dividend Income Tax £6,113
                      total tax £21,625

Total In £49,413

Salary £10,000
                      Bonus £10,000
                      Dividends £50,000
                      Maternity Pay £7,788

Employee NI £2,428
                      Employer NI £3,557
                      Salary Income Tax £4,264
                      Dividend Corp Tax £10,500
                      Dividend Income Tax £7,632
                      total tax £28,380

Total In £49,408

Salary £10,000
                      Bonus £20,000
                      Dividends £40,000
                      Maternity Pay £14,538

Employee NI £4,204
                      Employer NI £5,701
                      Salary Income Tax £7,747
                      Dividend Corp Tax £8,400
                      Dividend Income Tax £9,000
                      total tax £35,053

Total In £49,486

Salary £10,000
                      Bonus £30,000
                      Dividends £30,000
                      Maternity Pay £21,288

Employee NI £4,372
                      Employer NI £7,845
                      Salary Income Tax £14,447
                      Dividend Corp Tax £6,300
                      Dividend Income Tax £6,750
                      total tax £39,714

Total In £51,574

Salary £10,000
                      Bonus £60,000
                      Dividends £0
                      Maternity Pay £41,538

Employee NI £4,874
                      Employer NI £14,277
                      Salary Income Tax £32,520
                      Dividend Corp Tax £0
                      Dividend Income Tax £0
                      total tax £51,671

Total In £59,867

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like the spreadsheet.
                      Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X