• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused and would like advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mork
    If I cant force a notice period out of the pimp can I use the substitute thing to get out of the contract or do I suddenly start becoming a bad worker and how to umbrella companies react to you breaking contracts?
    The Brolly couldn't give a toss, but should the agent decide to not pay you because you broke the contract, the brolly won't help you get your money.

If you can't get a contract that matches your needs, you may find that you don't get paid at all for your time.

tim

Comment

How about coming at it from the other way, so to speak.

Do you have a definate start date for the permie job? If so talk to your permie contact and ask if you can delay your start date by 8 weeks or so.

If you dont have a definate date then talk to them and push for one, explain the circumstances and that financially you will have to take the 3 month gig if you cant start within say 4 weeks.

If the clearance thing is holding the proceedings it may well be 3 months before it's sorted anyway. Deep vetting can take up to 6 months to complete in any case so you could have a while to wait yet.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
        The Brolly couldn't give a toss, but should the agent decide to not pay you because you broke the contract, the brolly won't help you get your money.
        tim
        Not entirely true as the contract between Employee (contractor) and Employer(Brolly) could be seen as a true contract of employment and thus the employee should be paid regardless. WIll depend on how the Brolly has worded it and imo some of them have been quite helpful chasing late payments.

I agree that if you are using a "brolly" to run a limited company then they have less risk and thus less likely to chase.

Comment

Working...
        X