• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co. Salary whilst not working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Co. Salary whilst not working

I have a limited company with a healthy bank balance and up until recenly I worked through my Ltd Co. as a consultant. I gave my job up to go travelling and am yet to find a new contract. In the past whilst contracting I paid myself a minimum salary of approx £600/month and taken the rest as dividends. Now that I am no longer working (although still looking) can I still pay myself a salary and/or dividends?

yes.

Comment

Salary - yes.

Dividends from actual profit - yes

Dividends from money in the bank which isn't actually profit - no
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Don't forget, you can lay yourself off without closing company etc if you want to claim jobseekers allowance.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Another way of looking at it is: I presume you are a director of your company? If yes, you still get paid a fee for being so (salary).

Moscow is indeed correct that dividends can only be paid out of profits and not just available cash.
          Last edited by djhns; 3 March 2010, 13:39.

Comment

I am a director, so it's good to know I can still pay myself. There is accrued profit from previous years so I can therefore also pay myself dividends from this. There's still money put aside for VAT, Corp tax etc so that's OK
            Thanks for the quick replies and I'll look into the laying myself off point.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X