• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Deregistration query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Deregistration query

I've de registered for VAT. Sent all the forms off to Southend and completed the final paper VAT Return they required in January.

Those awfully nice people in Southend have now sent me a reminder to complete an electronic VAT Return for the current quarter in which de registration has been confirmed.

Not only that, those awfully nice people in Southend dont put their telephone number on their reminder just in case you may want to call and ask them a question.

Should I complete the on line VAT Return even though my de registration has already been confirmed?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I've de registered for VAT. Sent all the forms off to Southend and completed the final paper VAT Return they required in January.

Those awfully nice people in Southend have now sent me a reminder to complete an electronic VAT Return for the current quarter in which de registration has been confirmed.

Not only that, those awfully nice people in Southend dont put their telephone number on their reminder just in case you may want to call and ask them a question.

Should I complete the on line VAT Return even though my de registration has already been confirmed?
    It depends on whether the degregistration falls inside the quarterly period for when VAT could have been charged.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      It depends on whether the degregistration falls inside the quarterly period for when VAT could have been charged.
      The de registration date is within the current VAT Period. But, de registration has been confirmed by HMRC and a final VAT Return submitted to Southend on paper as they requested over a month ago.

IIRC, they said the final return must be submitted on paper and not electronically.

Comment

Out of interest, why have you de-registered?

Is it because you are on the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Out of interest, why have you de-registered?

Is it because you are on the bench?
          No, winding up the company. I'll start a new co when I get(!) my next contract. I wont be registering for VAT with that co.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I have had a look through all the paperwork from where I de-registered for VAT one year ago.
            • I applied for de-registration with effect from the end of the first month of the VAT quarter.
            • I received a confirmation letter from HMRC that I had de-registered from VAT about one week before the end of the normal VAT quarter.
            • At the same time I received an email reminder to submit my VAT return for the whole quarter online.
            • Before the deadline for submission though HMRC removed that quarter's return from the online portal so there was nothing for me to do.

I suspect that there is just a lag while HMRCs systems all catch up so I would check again a few days before the submission deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              I have had a look through all the paperwork from where I de-registered for VAT one year ago.
              • I applied for de-registration with effect from the end of the first month of the VAT quarter.
              • I received a confirmation letter from HMRC that I had de-registered from VAT about one week before the end of the normal VAT quarter.
              • At the same time I received an email reminder to submit my VAT return for the whole quarter online.
              • Before the deadline for submission though HMRC removed that quarter's return from the online portal so there was nothing for me to do.

I suspect that there is just a lag while HMRCs systems all catch up so I would check again a few days before the submission deadline.
              Yep, I'll probably do this.

Comment

I was so glad when i deregistered one of my businesses. The bloody reminders do my head in!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                X