• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
    Wow the article seems to be somewhat balanced for once. For once the reporters haven't focused on the avoidance of the taxes but instead state that it was legal and changed retrospectively.
    Yes I like the quote " The scheme was entirely legal and ran for 7 years until Parliament closed the loophole retrospectively "

Comment

Reconvenes tomorrow morning at 10:30

Elvin was speaking most of this afternoon, with Singh spending the last 20 minutes beginning his reply to yesterday's PWC submission. According to Judge Mummery, Singh will finish the PWC response tomorrow morning, then reply to the Huitson/Elvin arguments. PWC and Elvin then have a further right of reply. It may, in fact, be all over tomorrow as the judges, particularly Mummery, don't seem keen on 'too much detail' . . . .

Very difficult to work out how it's going, so I'm going to sit on the fence on that, but the judges were questioning Elvin thoughtfully.

As far as I can tell, the Telegraph article was looking into the future - more time travel !

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteCat View Post
        Elvin was speaking most of this afternoon, with Singh spending the last 20 minutes beginning his reply to yesterday's PWC submission. According to Judge Mummery, Singh will finish the PWC response tomorrow morning, then reply to the Huitson/Elvin arguments. PWC and Elvin then have a further right of reply. It may, in fact, be all over tomorrow as the judges, particularly Mummery, don't seem keen on 'too much detail' . . . .

Very difficult to work out how it's going, so I'm going to sit on the fence on that, but the judges were questioning Elvin thoughtfully.

As far as I can tell, the Telegraph article was looking into the future - more time travel !
        thanks for taking time to update.

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood View Post
          Yes I like the quote " The scheme was entirely legal and ran for 7 years until Parliament closed the loophole retrospectively "
          Good that's on the court records in unequivocal terms. It summarises exactly why you folks should win the case.

If it was wrong for the loophole to be there then it should have been closed off promptly, attempting retrospective action is thoroughly unjust.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Good that's on the court records in unequivocal terms. It summarises exactly why you folks should win the case.
            Well, it's a quote from the Telegraph, not neccessarily a quote from the court - and if it was from the court proceedings, it was probably said by Elvin, not the judges.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteCat View Post

That bit is very bad news. Glossing over the facts will not help our cause one jot. This must surely be given the attention it requires.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood View Post
                Article states, "Lord Justice Mummery, Lord Justice Morgan and Sir Paul Kennedy".

What happened to Sullivan?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  That bit is very bad news. Glossing over the facts will not help our cause one jot. This must surely be given the attention it requires.
                  I've sort of given up trying to figure out what goes on in legal minds. There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic in there at all. I suspected Parker arrived in court with his mind already made up, or at the very most was listening to see if anything changed his already set opinion. I just hope that if that is the case this time too, they've come to right and proper decision and are just itching to beat up Hector.

I think this appeared before on the forum:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ised-barn.html

I think I would read that as Mummery being a stickler for the letter of the law, even when he doesn't personally agree with the results. I think that at least he'll come to his own conclusion without Hector yanking his strings.

Also, many thanks to our intrepid court reporters. Deeply appreciated.
                  Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 3 November 2010, 20:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
                    Article states, "Lord Justice Mummery, Lord Justice Morgan and Sir Paul Kennedy".

What happened to Sullivan?
                    I think the story was "made up" because they got 2 of the Judges wrong.

It was probably also written before Elvin had even spoken.

Some of the alleged quotes are actually from January.

Basically another case of lazy journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      I think the story was "made up" because they got 2 of the Judges wrong.

It was probably also written before Elvin had even spoken.

Some of the alleged quotes are actually from January.

Basically another case of lazy journalism.
                      Good, Kennedy is not the sort of person we want to convince at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X