• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Hartnett can protest all he likes but the chickens are coming home to roost.

Even Dave's arse lickers in The Guardian have got in on the act. They have put a bunch of templates on their website for people to send if they get a demand.

Tax error: Letter templates to challenge your tax demand | Money | guardian.co.uk

Is it morally right to fight HMRC's tax demands? | Money | The Guardian

"Like many other media outlets, Guardian Money today reproduces a template letter so you can do exactly that. We made it available online during the week, and thousands of people have downloaded it."

"HMRC, already the most demoralised government department and the one least likely to answer calls from the public, could easily grind to a halt as the letters and calls clog up the system."
    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 11 September 2010, 08:04.

Comment

The revolt begins

Tax error: The revolt begins | Money | The Guardian

But if HMRC thought taxpayers would take it lying down, it discovered that many Britons are not afraid to go into battle when they feel they are being taken advantage of financially.

Comment

Tax man ploughing through 17m extra cases

Tax man ploughing through 17m extra cases - Accountancy Age

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs...

I predict a riot
        I predict a riot

Comment

and another word from the biggest knut in the country

BBC News - Revenue and Customs boss says he need not apologise

jeez just how bullied was ole Dave Heartless in his formative years. the attitude of this guy is trully unbelievable.

the phrase "I wouldn't p1ss on his teeth if his mouth was on fire" comes to mind

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheBoat View Post
            BBC News - Revenue and Customs boss says he need not apologise

jeez just how bullied was ole Dave Heartless in his formative years. the attitude of this guy is trully unbelievable.

the phrase "I wouldn't p1ss on his teeth if his mouth was on fire" comes to mind
            Dave needs bringing down.

Given that there's not much we can do between now and the appeal, how about we target the bastard?

Suggestions

1) Create an on-line petition demanding the bugger resign

2) Create a spoof website. The following appear to be available
            davehartnett.co.uk
            davehartnett.org.uk

Comment

Global rollout

What on earth is wrong with the guy...what I don't really get is the net revenue they are trying to collect is pretty small - I'm surprised that they didn't just leave closed returns as they were rather than trying to give back some and claw back even more (with interest - nice touch) and risk this unholy row about their practices.

I wonder how many people who would previously had little sympathy for our situation (probably not reading the detail of it all) now have a different view. It seems that everyone is now seeing the full stupidity and arrogance of the way that they are acting. Finally they've unmasked themselves in all their horrific glory - but I can't understand why they would do that???

Such a sorry state - but it amuses me to wonder how they will deal with the new onslaught of paperwork that they will have to handle when everyone challanges their new demands. Perhaps they just want to employ the entire country as it seems that it would probably take 1 tax person per tax payer to actually get it right....I feel the snake is eating it's own tail somewhat. Wonder how that costs out. They collect 1000 pounds in tax but it cost them 1500 to do it - marvellous - that seems sensible. Let's roll that out to all tax returns!! Marvellous idea. Shall we just blow up the world next.....
              The Cat

Comment

sanity check anyone?

I also like the bit where various people on various radio 4 news and moneybox etc were breaking cover and saying don't trust their numbers work it out for yourself, but it will be hard because you have to take into account the adjustments the the year before the year you are starting at etc etc.

But seriously who has any chance of being able to work out their own tax if their life is even slightly complicated it would probably be very difficult. Most paye people with demands have next to zero chance of being able to do it.

I hope the A19 thing is endorsed - if it is then presumably it must apply to every single person involved since one of their main tenets seems to be that everyone must pay the same tax and be treated the same ("fair" as they call it I seem to remember)....so if one person succeeds with that then isn't it game over for the HMRC? And if they do what happens to the people with rebates I assume they still have to go ahead which would mean that DH would end up presiding over a mass handout coupled with no return. Seems fitting....

Working on very complicated IT systems in finance as I have for 21 years I would imagine that it would be very very difficult to reprocess the returns back 6 years making the adjustments to rules for each period and taking into account adjustments from previous years feeding into that period - since most people didn't just materialise 6 years ago. It's the kind of thing that rapidly gets extremely complicated since most systems are designed to largely run forwards with current rule set from a given starting point. So I would also hazard a guess that they are highly likely to get the numbers wrong but proving where and why they are wrong is equally as difficult - who would be the adjudicator after all? I doubt they supply a decent debug log with source code so you can actually assess their workings. I can't see court judges sitting around a table with multiple spreadsheets wading through code to work out if the expected results are correct or not. It is actually a virtually impossible situation in the real world which is why I thought that tax returns were assumed set in stone after a bit of time had passed if neither taxpayer not revenue had noticed any mistakes.

This whole thing is total folly and will upset a lot of normal people a lot. The nurse on the telly that was asked for about 5k ? i think - how can the tax from paye be that wrong? Seems like a lot for a nurses earnings. Did she doa bit of day trading on the side maybe?
                Don't they have any kind of sanity checks to see if the numbers spewing out seem vaguely sensible? Obviously not.
                The Cat

Comment

perhaps if he wasn't so busy lunching??

can't say sorry i'm too busy lunching

all makes sense now.... doesn't feel the need to say sorry as he's wasn't actually in charge

think DR (as usual ) is on the right track ... gotta go!!!

fj

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Tax man ploughing through 17m extra cases - Accountancy Age

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs...

I predict a riot
                    I predict a riot
                    I am loving watching that arrogant bastard digging a hole so deep the Australians will get a chance to hate him too. The more this goes on, the bigger the outcry, the more all the dirty tricks will come to light. Keep that mouth moving, you arrogant ****. I am so going to love watching you get hounded the way you turned your dogs on us.

Comment

he was obviously bullied at school...I bet Her Majesty must be proud of the organiation she put her name too

Comment

Working...
                      X