• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    I don't want to pour cold water on this but...

The way I read it, the Judge probably had little choice in the matter but to grant permission because the matter is of overwhelming public interest.

He didn't grant permission because the case had any merits, so it does not mean we have any prospect of success.

I hope it's not just "another day in court" but let's not get our hopes up too much.
    Sure DR, understood. But at least there is some progression.

Ta
    LL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
      Sure DR, understood. But at least there is some progression.

Ta
      LL
      Indeed.

Although this hasn't been updated yet, I'm guessing that the window of 19-Jul-10 to 18-Oct-10 could be for the actual hearing itself.
      http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/l...se_id=20100360

Comment

I hope it's not just "another day in court" but let's not get our hopes up too much.
        FWIW - and I think I said this soon after the JR - I believe the Judiciary recognised very early, that the roadmap for this case leads directly to the Supreme Court. Everything until we get there is ticking the 'due process' boxes. That would also explain why the PWC argument has been swept into the same pile.
        I'm not expecting anything until then - it avoids disappointment along the way.

Comment

Indeed.

Although this hasn't been updated yet, I'm guessing that the window of 19-Jul-10 to 18-Oct-10 could be for the actual hearing itself.
          http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/l...se_id=20100360
          DR, I understand we shouldnt get too over excited however I see this as a damn sight more positive than the appeal not being allowed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            DR, I understand we shouldnt get too over excited however I see this as a damn sight more positive than the appeal not being allowed!!!
            Absolutely, and at least we have avoided the delay of having to go to an oral application hearing first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased, but after the disappointment of the JR I'm just being cautious.

I think TAF4 is probably right and the case won't be dealt with in earnest until it reaches the Supreme Court.

Comment

I think TAF4 is probably right and the case won't be dealt with in earnest until it reaches the Supreme Court.
              Pleased that there is progression.

Though speaking to a family member who is a lawyer, they reckoned that we won't get any joy till we go to Europe. Because even the Supreme Court have the shadow of the government standing next to them.

They were also surprised that I was surprised at the porkies told by Jane in getting it through parliament. And had I never heard of the term 'Creative Legislation'
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Cool

I have just heard that our application to the Court of Appeal has been granted permission.

There will be a slight delay, before we get a date, while the Court considers whether the PwC case should also go ahead.

As I mentioned a while back the court has recommended that, in the interests of making best use of the court's time, both cases should be heard together.
                Great news - thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  Pleased that there is progression.

Though speaking to a family member who is a lawyer, they reckoned that we won't get any joy till we go to Europe. Because even the Supreme Court have the shadow of the government standing next to them.

They were also surprised that I was surprised at the porkies told by Jane in getting it through parliament. And had I never heard of the term 'Creative Legislation'
                  Can't help feeling that this should be scrutinised more closely in the next court hearing. The main argument of HMRC about "the will of parliament" is all well and good (alright it's sh@ite actually) but the way to determine the "will of parliament" is to examine the original Treasury Committee debates, at which point "Jane's porkies" might just render that argument redundant.
                  Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 21 April 2010, 09:00.

Comment

Human Rights

We're in good company.

Supreme Court Ruling on Human Rights
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 21 April 2010, 19:18.

Comment

I thought better than posting that possibly dodgy comparison!

Comment

Working...
                      X