• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    With the exception of inheritance tax, which was a long term promise, the tories are going to great effort not to give so much as a morsel to anyone remotely perceived as rich(er).

They are committed to keeping the 50% tax rate, personal allowance removal and higher rate pension changes.

Even their promise to reverse the NI changes only applies to people earning below a certain amount.

And none of this is about the amounts of money involved. It's all about deflecting accusations of the "party for the rich".

Quite a few IR35's believe that the tories will scrap said IR35 - personally I think they're gonna be very disappointed.

Still, it's looking more and more like a moot point as the tories seem determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
    If I remember rightly, NL promised not to increase income tax rates and for most of their term in office managed not to do so, they just increased every other tax in sight, particularly NI. There is nothing stopping the Tories delivering on their promise of keeping the 50% rate band, they just move the threshold up to say £500k, job done. Those earning above that don't pay it anyway.

As for the Tory prospects, they look more and more as if they have blown it. A LibDem opinion poll lead??? You'd think it was April 1st.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post

As for the Tory prospects, they look more and more as if they have blown it. A LibDem opinion poll lead??? You'd think it was April 1st.
      I wouldn't actually mind if LibDem did get in, but what'll happen is the electorate will dilute and we'll end up with another term of the lieing fcuking cnuts we call 'labour'. the final term, because with another 5 years to get complacent they'll finish the country off for good.

Still, that's the tories fault for putting an utter wet wank in charge of their own party.

Comment

Breaking News

I have just heard that our application to the Court of Appeal has been granted permission.

There will be a slight delay, before we get a date, while the Court considers whether the PwC case should also go ahead.

As I mentioned a while back the court has recommended that, in the interests of making best use of the court's time, both cases should be heard together.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I have just heard that our application to the Court of Appeal has been granted permission.

There will be a slight delay, before we get a date, while the Court considers whether the PwC case should also go ahead.

As I mentioned a while back the court has recommended that, in the interests of making best use of the court's time, both cases should be heard together.
          thanks for the update DR
          When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Interesting that we did not need to present an oral submission ????

Good stuff DR

R

Comment

No oral hearing this time?

Comment

Yay!!!

GReat news thanks DR!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                  No oral hearing this time?
                  Nope.

The Judge granted permission on the basis that "there is a substantial public interest in the main point being determined at a higher level".

The Judge has estimated that the hearing will take 1 day, but I imagine this will have to be extended if PwC's case is heard at the same time.

If you recall, PwC's argument has thus far not been tested in court at all.

Comment

Nope.

The Judge granted permission on the basis that "there is a substantial public interest in the main point being determined at a higher level".

The Judge has estimated that the hearing will take 1 day, but I imagine this will have to be extended if PwC's case is heard at the same time.

If you recall, PwC's argument has thus far not been tested in court at all.
                    Well, at least this judge has got his / her tulipe together

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
                      Well, at least this judge has got his / her tulipe together
                      I don't want to pour cold water on this but...

The way I read it, the Judge probably had little choice in the matter but to grant permission because the matter is of overwhelming public interest.

He didn't grant permission because the case had any merits, so it does not mean we have any prospect of success.

I hope it's not just "another day in court" but let's not get our hopes up too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X