• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    They will have to look really really hard to find anyone, nobody seems to have an appreciation for the bottom line:

6) The Treasury should identify skills shortfalls and “establish centres of expertise” to mitigate the “lack of sound commercial skills… across government”.

Amen to that. Or put it another way. Employ people who know what they're doing and why they're doing it. That is, not those currently holding these positions.

Comment

So what will the Lib-Dems do about retrospective taxation?
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
        Just when you think HMRC can't sink any lower:

Taxman penalises someone for paying too much

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...paign=pf1504am

Does anyone in HMRC have a soul?
        Watch out those that have paid CTD's may be penalised for doing 'supposedly' the right thing !!!! ......... Retrospectively of course
        MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
          So what will the Lib-Dems do about retrospective taxation?
          Well, Ed Davey (Lib Dem MP) said retrospective taxation was 'immoral'.

And they argued against the imposition of s58 in the finance comittee.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
            Well, Ed Davey (Lib Dem MP) said retrospective taxation was 'immoral'.

And they argued against the imposition of s58 in the finance comittee.
            Im happy to prostitute my vote around to the party that will repeal S58....PS does anyone know if the tories would look to repeal it?

One of the only reasons I thought Clegg looked any good last night is because the Lib Dems have no track record to critique, easy to throw mud when you've never done it before because you know it cant be thrown back

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              S58....PS does anyone know if the tories would look to repeal it?
              They have already gone on record last year as saying that, although they opposed s58 on principle, they couldn't commit to reversing it because of the budget deficit.

This was before Parker's judgment.

I doubt they'd want to go anywhere near it now.

Comment

How Predictable lol

So I've received my latest CN on the Saturday closest to my B'day, probably in in some misguided belief from the lazy fat slobs at HMRC that it would ruin both my weekend and my Birthday, in fact the mixture of stale cream and BO informed me who the letter was from before I got to my front door. I bet the undoubtedly gargantuan Mrs Hallows chortled as she tucked into another celebratory slab of chocolate lard cake whilst scrawling her name across it.

Anyhow the letter is currently airing on the washing line before being sent onto MP and I'm off out for lovely day and a slap up meal tonight with the trouble.

At least I have received all of my CN's now so I finally know the total figure that they think I owe, thankfully I put aside more than this figure 8 years ago so our house is at no risk. Who knows HMRC may even get to see it in 4-5 years time though they better not hold their breath.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
                  Just when you think HMRC can't sink any lower:

Taxman penalises someone for paying too much
                  So in short, he overpays his tax - that isn't in dispute. He thinks he's overpaid by £3K - HMRC thinks he's overpaid by £1K.

Because he tries to claim £3K back, HMRC fine him 70% of the £2K difference.

Net result of overpaying his tax is that he then has to pay an additional £400 - and doesn't get any rebate, even though its fully agreed that he paid too much tax

It's a worrying development. I thought that penalties applied when you didn't actually pay. How can simply making a case that you have been overpaid get you a penalty. HMRC should either accept your case, reject it outright or argue the difference.
                  Last edited by centurian; 17 April 2010, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    I doubt they'd want to go anywhere near it now.
                    With the exception of inheritance tax, which was a long term promise, the tories are going to great effort not to give so much as a morsel to anyone remotely perceived as rich(er).

They are committed to keeping the 50% tax rate, personal allowance removal and higher rate pension changes.

Even their promise to reverse the NI changes only applies to people earning below a certain amount.

And none of this is about the amounts of money involved. It's all about deflecting accusations of the "party for the rich".

Quite a few IR35's believe that the tories will scrap said IR35 - personally I think they're gonna be very disappointed.

Still, it's looking more and more like a moot point as the tories seem determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Comment

News Flash

LONDON – 17 April 2010, 15:00 UK PRIME MINISTER Gordon Brown today announced that he is to retrospectively abolish all volcanoes. The UK Prime Minister has been uncharacteristically quiet since the Eyjafjallajökull volcano started erupting on Thursday.

Downing Street sources have reported that Brown is expected to spin the story as “a deliberate attempt by Iceland to avoid paying for the banking crisis”. However, alternative reports as to the cause of the disaster surfaced today that Brown was so angry at the British people’s lack of appreciation for his dress sense that he accidently hit the nuclear button in a fit of rage. He had been targeting the missiles at Iceland in an attempt to impress his idol, Margaret Thatcher.

Fortunately, most of the missiles failed to launch due to lack of maintenance and only one became airborne. MoD officials were said to be relieved that the missile had hit a relatively unpopulated area of Iceland as they had in fact been targeted at the capital city. A MoD official was heard to say, “that’s what happens which you buy American scrap”.

The no-fly-zone imposed due to the volcanic ash has pushed the British airline industry into the red, but with the retrospective abolition of volcanoes, they are expected to fully recover. An industry spokesman said Friday that he expected that the measure would allow new routes to be opened and expected the Pompeii route to be very popular.

ENDS.
                      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Working...
                      X