• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC incompetent?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    To put it in perspective, we are just 2 out of over 50 cases HMRC has in the Court of Appeal at the moment:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/l...search=revenue

Does this possibly indicate that the relevant taxation legislation and guidance notes provided by HMRC are drafted in such an unprofessional and imprecise manner that the ensuing misunderstandings and variety of interpretations necissitate court proceedings to clear up?

Is there anything to stop any of us from individually launcing any kind of legal proceedings whilst the MP case is on-going? Are there any avenues to dispute within the HMRC's own disputes/tribunals processes?

Comment

HMRC complaints procedure

Originally posted by loser View Post
      Does this possibly indicate that the relevant taxation legislation and guidance notes provided by HMRC are drafted in such an unprofessional and imprecise manner that the ensuing misunderstandings and variety of interpretations necissitate court proceedings to clear up?

Is there anything to stop any of us from individually launcing any kind of legal proceedings whilst the MP case is on-going? Are there any avenues to dispute within the HMRC's own disputes/tribunals processes?

We are all entitled to intitiate a formal complaint against HMRC's conduct in waiting 8 years to "claify this legislation when they knew about it in 2002 (Technical note 63) but to do this it would need to be done using professional advisers which will come rather costly.

It might be something MontP could launch as a class action complaint to put some pressure on HMRC. It might also uncover some more damaging internal documents about why they took so long to come up with BN66.

Comment

do MP's have twitter accounts? wonder if any of our friends do...
        Last edited by portseven; 13 March 2010, 23:20.
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

(A big thanks to the person who tipped me off about this.)

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/l...se_id=20100360
          Right before the election.

Comment

Timescales

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
            Right before the election.
            Our solicitor is hoping to get a decision on the written application within the next 6 weeks.

If the written application is accepted
            then there's a chance we could get a full hearing before the end of the year

If the written application is refused
            (which is quite normal) then we would have to present at an oral hearing which would delay proceedings by another few months. In this case, I can't see us getting into court for a full hearing until Spring 2011.

Beyond the Court of Appeal
            Whoever wins in the Court of Appeal, it will be appealed to the Supreme Court and/or ECtHR/ECJ. This could take another 3 years or more.

Personally, I don't see there being a resolution until at least 2014.
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 14 March 2010, 10:03.

Comment

Speeding up the process

Our solicitor is hoping to get a decision on the written application within the next 6 weeks.

(which is quite normal) then we would have to present at an oral hearing which would delay proceedings by another few months. In this case, I can't see us getting into court for a full hearing until Spring 2011.

Whoever wins in the Court of Appeal, it will be appealed to the Supreme Court and/or ECtHR/ECJ. This could take another 3 years or more.

Thanks DR.

I know that we still need to be granted access to the Court of Appeal but let's assume that we get this.

Then, if both sides can indicate in advance that they will appeal the Court of Appeal decision if it goes against them, can't we save everybody's time and cost by moving directly to the Supreme Court/ECtHR/ECJ?
              Last edited by Retro; 14 March 2010, 11:25. Reason: Unnecessary Rambling

Comment

Timescales....

Once again DR,

Many Thanks for all your valueable input.
                When you were 'off the scene' for a few days it did feel like being on board ship but without the Captain!
                I do post now and again but not often, however I do read all the posts over and over, and on the site 4/5 times a day!

Re your prediction of no resolution until at least 2014, does that mean 'our friends' cannot legally start any court action against any of us on an individual level? - Do they have to wait until all the actions in the European court are finished?

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
                  I know that we still need to be granted access to the Court of Appeal but let's assume that we get this.

Then, if both sides can indicate in advance that they will appeal the Court of Appeal decision if it goes against them, can't we save everybody's time and cost by moving directly to the Supreme Court/ECtHR/ECJ?
                  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that.

The only way we can bypass the Court of Appeal is if they refuse our application at the written and oral stages. Then we would have to appeal to the Supreme Court. If they also refused a hearing, then we could go to Europe.

Whichever permutation you look at, I reckon it will take at least 3 years to reach the end of the process. Personally, I am working on the basis of 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantthinkof1 View Post
                    Re your prediction of no resolution until at least 2014, does that mean 'our friends' cannot legally start any court action against any of us on an individual level? - Do they have to wait until all the actions in the European court are finished?
                    We have all appealed our Closure Notices, and there is a process HMRC would have to follow to discharge those appeals. (Note that these appeals have no formal connection with the court cases.)

They would have to take one or more cases to a Tax Tribunal (formerly called the Special Commissioners). This would be a pretty pointless exercise when the legislation is being challenged in the higher courts.

I'm not saying they won't try some dirty tactics to "encourage" people to pay up but I think it's unlikely.

Montpelier have already said they would vigourously any attempt by HMRC to enforce collection before the appeals process has run it's course. I am assuming PwC, Steed/KMPG, deGraaf and others would do likewise.

Comment

Many Thanks

We have all appealed our Closure Notices, and there is a process HMRC would have to follow to discharge those appeals. (Note that these appeals have no formal connection with the court cases.)

They would have to take one or more cases to a Tax Tribunal (formerly called the Special Commissioners). This would be a pretty pointless exercise when the legislation is being challenged in the higher courts.

I'm not saying they won't try some dirty tactics to "encourage" people to pay up but I think it's unlikely.

Montpelier have already said they would vigourously any attempt by HMRC to enforce collection before the appeals process has run it's course. I am assuming PwC, Steed/KMPG, deGraaf and others would do likewise.
                      Many Thanks DR for that info...

Comment

Working...
                      X