• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will HMRC and MP react ?

I suspect that if they win they will send out a slew of letters, hoping to scare people into paying before it goes to appeal.

If we do lose - how quickly will an appeal be lodged (if at all).

I think I trust MP not to demand payment if we win until we know if HMRC are likely to appeal or not.

But that might just be wishful thinking.

Good luck all!
    Last edited by Doug1965; 20 July 2011, 08:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug1965 View Post
      I suspect that if they [HMRC] win they will send out a slew of letters, hoping to scare people into paying before it goes to appeal.
      Personally, I don't think they will do this. After all, they didn't after we lost emphatically in the High Court. IMO, they will wait to see if either us or PwC appeal.

I think I trust MP not to demand payment if we win until we know if HMRC are likely to appeal or not.
      I presume you are referring to the 4% loan agreements (deferred fees) that some people had.

This wouldn't become payable until enquiries are closed with no further tax/nic to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug1965 View Post
        I suspect that if they win they will send out a slew of letters, hoping to scare people into paying before it goes to appeal.

But that might just be wishful thinking.

Good luck all!
        We certainly know from the past that HMRC will already have the letters drafted if they have won and be itching to get them in the post second class mail.

On the other hand, should we win, I would have thought it reasonable for all of us to write to HMRC demanding revised Closure Notices followed immediately by a slew of letters to MPs demanding immediate withdrawal of HMRC from the case etc.

I'm sure in the next few days we will collectively resolve a sensible course of action based on the different possible outcomes. Remember, the fat lady is not singing so it isn't over yet.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
          We certainly know from the past that HMRC will already have the letters drafted if they have won and be itching to get them in the post second class mail.

On the other hand, should we win, I would have thought it reasonable for all of us to write to HMRC demanding revised Closure Notices followed immediately by a slew of letters to MPs demanding immediate withdrawal of HMRC from the case etc.

I'm sure in the next few days we will collectively resolve a sensible course of action based on the different possible outcomes. Remember, the fat lady is not singing so it isn't over yet.
          I think its a very good idea that if we win then some sort of lobbying should be done to have the case ended here - my own MP has proven fairly useless however over last few years in any assistance (not even responded to letters) - not sure how we should approach this - ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            Did anyone else receive an updated self assessment statement a few days ago?
            Mine included credits for each tax year marked as collection suspended on appeal.

Timing seems coincidental.

Comment

Staying relaxed

I'll just be staying calm and collected and considering the next stage whatever happens. Like others have said getting all excited either way is a bit pointless and can give them ammo against us. A dignified demeanour under such pressures cannot go against us. It's much more intimidating to be faced with an opponent that remains totally calm in the face of your attacks. Remember Crocodile Dundee and the knife incident? We have much more power than we know.
              The Cat

Comment

No doubt if we lose the usual harbingers of doom will reappear saying "I told you so".

Comment

I'll be there

So I'll pop along ...same place as last time right ?

Would like to hear the result for myself ....whichever way it goes we'll end up at supreme court I would guess.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
                    So I'll pop along ...same place as last time right ?

Would like to hear the result for myself ....whichever way it goes we'll end up at supreme court I would guess.
                    Only if the judges don't stitch up the verdict good and proper, leaving no grounds for appeal.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I feel sick.

Oh well, here's to another day of frantic F5-ing!!

Comment

Working...
                      X