• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
    Could it be they are looking for some middle ground ?

Perhaps where the moralistic view on tax avoidance is appeased without opening the floodgates for retrospection. Say they decided it didn't infringe our human rights to apply tax retrospectively for a year then Hmrc gets some money and doesn't lose so much face and everyones right to organise tax affairs with (a relative amount of) certainty is upheld ?
    I don't think the Court can do that as that would be re-writing what Parliament had enacted.

Parliament have told the Courts that if Parliament ever pass legislation which goes against Human Rights (as per the UK Human Rights Act) then the Court can declare that legislation to be incompatible. In effect, Parliament have bound themselves to respect human rights.

This gives the Courts the power to (effectivley) strike out the smallest amount of legislation (words) in order to bring the legislation back in line with the UK Human Rights Act.

The Court can therefore (effectively) strike out the words "always have had effect" but cannot insert new words.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
      I don't think the Court can do that as that would be re-writing what Parliament had enacted.

Parliament have told the Courts that if Parliament ever pass legislation which goes against Human Rights (as per the UK Human Rights Act) then the Court can declare that legislation to be incompatible. In effect, Parliament have bound themselves to respect human rights.

This gives the Courts the power to (effectivley) strike out the smallest amount of legislation (words) in order to bring the legislation back in line with the UK Human Rights Act.

The Court can therefore (effectively) strike out the words "always have had effect" but cannot insert new words.
      I thought it was the case that the collectors of taxes in the member states did not fall under the scope of the human rights act? If they are bound by it which section applies in this case Toocan?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        I thought it was the case that the collectors of taxes in the member states did not fall under the scope of the human rights act? If they are bound by it which section applies in this case Toocan?
        I'm sure that's HMRC would like to think.

The HRA does apply to taxation but authorities have a wide margin of appreciation in this area, which makes it very difficult to challenge anything on the basis of HR.

This is why we face such an uphill battle trying to argue that BN66 is in breach of article 1 protocol 1.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I'm sure that's HMRC would like to think.

The HRA does apply to taxation but authorities have a wide margin of appreciation in this area, which makes it very difficult to challenge anything on the basis of HR.

This is why we face such an uphill battle trying to argue that BN66 is in breach of article 1 protocol 1.
          That sounds about right I would have thought article 7 would have been appropriate in this case as well
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Anyone catch this show - BBC iPlayer - Decision Time: 08/06/2011 - last night? Radio4's Decision time on Tax Avoidance.
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              I maybe massively deluded but I cant help feeling that the longer the decision takes the more encouraged I am that its going to fall our way....thoughts anyone??
              Call me cynical, but I think the longer the decision takes, the more time the judges are spending on the golf course
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Anyone catch this show - BBC iPlayer - Decision Time: 08/06/2011 - last night? Radio4's Decision time on Tax Avoidance.
                No, I didnt what was the meat of the discussion??

Comment

It's probably taking a lot longer than normal because this is not a normal situation.

The judges are having to decide two completely different cases at the same time. The only things in common is the scheme and the legislation. Other than that, these are two totally distinct areas of the law; one involves the Human Rights Act and the other the European Treaty (PwC).

To further complicate matters, the PwC case hadn't previously been heard in court so strictly speaking it's not even an appeal. The judges are having to consider this one from scratch.

We have no idea if both cases are taking a long time to reach a decision, or if one was despatched fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    It's probably taking a lot longer than normal because this is not a normal situation.

The judges are having to decide two completely different cases at the same time. The only things in common is the scheme and the legislation. Other than that, these are two totally distinct areas of the law; one involves the Human Rights Act and the other the European Treaty (PwC).

To further complicate matters, the PwC case hadn't previously been heard in court so strictly speaking it's not even an appeal. The judges are having to consider this one from scratch.

We have no idea if both cases are taking a long time to reach a decision, or if one was despatched fairly quickly.
                    In other words, they shouldn't have heard both cases at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                      In other words, they shouldn't have heard both cases at the same time.
                      The judges were clearly affronted at having to hear the PwC case, which hadn't been through the lower courts, and vented their frustration on PwC's barrister. The reality is though it was their fellow judges in the CoA who had approved the application.

I hope their annoyance isn't contributing to the delay.

Comment

Working...
                      X