• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 months since the CoA hearing

Comment

TUPE

Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) law has been around for some time (1981 I believe). Cutting to the chase, TUPE is the legislation that protects rights of employees when a company is taken over or outsourced. What is relevant about it is that contractors, agency workers and the like are specifically excluded under TUPE. Or to put it another way, treated as non-employees of a given company they "contract" into for the purpose of employment law.

Now this raises a question or two. If I am working on a 12 month IT contract for one client, whether via Ltd, Umbrella or other, then as defined by TUPE I am not an employee of the client and have no employer / employee relationship. I must therefore not be an employee. If all my income is derived from that client then it is not via employment income. So in the case of IR35 and the various "tests" used to determine if I am caught by IR35, then does it not follow that whatever the tests, TUPE defines my relationship as not employed (or in simple terms, I am self-employed).

Does that not trump any IR35 claim? I cannot see how employment legislation clearly defines me as not employed for a given contract but IR35 tries to catch me for the purposes of employers tax liabilities.

And if this is true, then surely I can never be employed under TUPE so for the purpose of all my contracts I am always self employed for the purpose of TUPE. So what gives rise to any consideration of employers tax liabilities. Who is my employer who is "liable" for this tax element?

I appreciate that if you take this to the extreme then it follows that any "business" engaging with another on a contract basis is not liable for employers tax. But we're talking about an individual here. If I was employed by a larger outfit and they were taken over, I would be covered by TUPE. But I'm not.

All I can think is that I am self employed on a contract for employment law purposes and potentially employed under IR35 for tax purposes. Surely I cannot be both...

Why do I raise this? To understand the TUPE / contractor angle in relation to IR35 and how I am legally defined for tax purposes. No expert on this, but I need to square the circle. If every contract I have is TUPE free then I am not employed so no employer to pay employers tax. If HMRC propose to define me as liable to this tax, who is my employer? Can't be me under TUPE. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
        Does that not trump any IR35 claim? I cannot see how employment legislation clearly defines me as not employed for a given contract but IR35 tries to catch me for the purposes of employers tax liabilities.
        Because they use different definitions. Not exactly joined up, but there you go. TUPE uses a definition of worker (which is different to other pieces of legislation).

TUPE was involved in Cable & Wireless v Muscat (2006). Transcript: Cable & Wireless Plc v Muscat [2006] EWCA Civ 220 (09 March 2006)

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          5 months since the CoA hearing

Yes.....seems a long time..............but look what maybe around the corner !!

Reform of the European Court of Human Rights: response to a modest proposal « UK Human Rights Blog

Comment

Don't miss this

This is a very interesting insight into the Supreme Court. (BBB I player)

Its a 'must see' Dont miss it

BBC iPlayer - The Highest Court in the Land: Justice Makers
            Last edited by Ganymede; 5 April 2011, 20:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganymede View Post
              This is a very interesting insight into the Supreme Court. (BBB I player)

Its a 'must see' DONT MISS IT !!

BBC iPlayer - The Highest Court in the Land: Justice Makers
              WHS.

It may not be your normal cup of tea as far as tv viewing goes but our eventual fate might be in the hands of these people.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                WHS.

It may not be your normal cup of tea as far as tv viewing goes but our eventual fate might be in the hands of these people.
                I watched the program, and while I'd rather win now, I think the Supreme Court might well be the place where we finally get justice.

Comment

IOM Conference

Surely not sponsored by MontP?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...man-today.html
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

This case I mentioned a while back, involving HMRC, has finally had a judgment announced to be handed down next week.

Case Tracker for Civil Appeals

The hearing was back in July, so it's taken 8½ months.

If our's was to take as long then we'd looking at June/July.
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 6 April 2011, 15:29.

Comment

Not surprisingly the link isnt working, what was the outcome of that case?

Comment

Working...
                      X