• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    A classic example of where lower risk turns out to be more risky is putting your money in a savings account which doesn't keep pace with inflation.

Personally I couldn't do what robinhood is doing because I would want some form of risk control (money management) in place, and that's very difficult with highly volatile AIM shares which can move double-digit% in a single day. The wide bid-ask spreads don't help either.

The plain fact is though that he's got more chance of meeting his liability dabbling in AIM oilies than sticking it in a savings account which won't even keep up with the interest HMRC are charging!!!
    Wise words....

my annoyance was with tsunami of rhetoric been whipped up, reminiscent of many a boom, where a few make money, most get sun burnt with no shirt.

Comment

More bad news on it's way...

I think that the following is bad news for us

BBC News - Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax

Again they are using tax avoidence and tax evasion alongside each other, blurring the edges.

I also do not see that if we lose we will get any backing from the MP's who were so vocally against BN66 whilst it was going through Parliament. How can they back us when the budget is clamping down on tax avoidence?

Another nail in the coffin...

Comment

It Could be Us!

Here's a thought. The Euromillions is circa 117 million quid this Friday. The odds of winning the jackpot are around 75 million to one.

3000 BN66'ers put 100 quid each into a syndicate and buys as a result 150,000 tickets. The chances of winning are now about 500:1. Not bad odds. Of course others may get the jackpot so the bounty would get less and less for our syndicate. But if we were the only jackpot winners, that covers Parkers comment of 100M quid at stake and 17 mills for a damn good bash.

In fact, the idea of such as syndicate between now and the SC ruling in say 18 months time putting in say 20 quid a week is no bad thing. I mean, that could build up a fair pile to cover those that are totally screwed by this and more. 2500:1 odds are still pretty decent. A couple of hundred K here, a millionaire raffle there, all builds up...

AND IT'S TAX FREE!!!

Oh, the irony...

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
          I think that the following is bad news for us

BBC News - Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax

Again they are using tax avoidence and tax evasion alongside each other, blurring the edges.

I also do not see that if we lose we will get any backing from the MP's who were so vocally against BN66 whilst it was going through Parliament. How can they back us when the budget is clamping down on tax avoidence?

Another nail in the coffin...
          Nothing has changed.

It has been abundantly clear for a long time that politicians have washed their hands of us, and our fate lies in the hands of the courts.

We need a win. If not at the CoA, then the Supreme Court.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
            Here's a thought. The Euromillions is circa 117 million quid this Friday. The odds of winning the jackpot are around 75 million to one.

3000 BN66'ers put 100 quid each into a syndicate and buys as a result 150,000 tickets. The chances of winning are now about 500:1. Not bad odds. Of course others may get the jackpot so the bounty would get less and less for our syndicate. But if we were the only jackpot winners, that covers Parkers comment of 100M quid at stake and 17 mills for a damn good bash.

In fact, the idea of such as syndicate between now and the SC ruling in say 18 months time putting in say 20 quid a week is no bad thing. I mean, that could build up a fair pile to cover those that are totally screwed by this and more. 2500:1 odds are still pretty decent. A couple of hundred K here, a millionaire raffle there, all builds up...

AND IT'S TAX FREE!!!

Oh, the irony...
            count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
              count me in.
              that's down to 37.5million to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post

AND IT'S TAX FREE!!!

Oh, the irony...
                and if we won we could put it all on oilies!!

seriously imagine scooping that and leaving it bearing interest for the time between now and the final judgement!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  and if we won we could put it all on oilies!!

seriously imagine scooping that and leaving it bearing interest for the time between now and the final judgement!!!!
                  Well interestingly enough if you go to certain banks with that amount in cash, then the interest rate standards simply don't apply. I recall one lucky winner getting 18% interest on a few million when the "normal" rate was about 9%.

So if you can get say 5% from some good savings, then imagine 10% if you say you won't touch any of it for 18 months...

117 million gets you over 11 million in 12 months and that's not compound. So I'd put it at about 25 million extra or 142 million quid.

I wonder how a "fighting fund" may have accumulated since April 2008 until December 2012 if every month 3000 "Sixty Sixers" chipped in 100 quid when the jackpot was a rollover or a double rollover? More than 3.5 years with a syndicate chance of 500:1 on the jackpot alone once a month let's say. I'm not going to do the sums but I reckon there could have been a few million in the pot by then. Not enough for us all, but a fair amount for those who would end up busted and broke. Or enough to buy us all and families one way tickets to the UAE and a slap up meal or two at the other end with a masse allez dune bashing trip to finish

Comment

with that amount of cash we could probably buy our own oil rig and do our own drilling

Comment

Follow up on Contracta Solutions - mentioned by DR

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      If only we'd known this at the time.

Now which is more risky, joining a scheme or speculating in AIM stocks?

Hmmm...

Contractor Benefit Trust

Disclaimer: It is possible that the Contracta Solutions structure may be challenged by HMRC in the future or retrospective legislation may be introduced

The records for Contracta Solutions Ltd at the Co's Registry in the IOM show that:-
                      the Co was incorporated just last month on 24 February,
                      the two directors who have signed the Statutory form consenting to act are:-

1) Mr Jesse Grant HESTER of Po Box 244, Sunbeach Villa, Royal Road, Grande Baie, Mauritius, a British Consultant and

2) Ms Cis Lieve Lisa OVERSTEYNS a Belgian Consultant of P O Box 500462, Al Nakheel 3B, Apt G02, Street3, The Greens, Dubai, UAE

The Co Secretary is given as Arc Forrest Limited, Unit10, Springates East, Government Road, Charlestown, Nevis, West Indies.

The sole subscriber shareholder is:- Peruvious Limited, Trident Chambers, Road Town, Tortola, BVI

The Registered Office is located at P O Box 227, Clinch's House, Lord Street, Douglas, IM99 1RZ, Isle of Man

The Company has specified "the control and management of the business of the Company shall be in and from the Isle of Man or such other place as the Directors may determine from time to time"

With regards to Accounts "The company elects to exempt itself from the requirement to lay accounts before the company in general meeting, pursuant to Section 2A of the Companies Act 1982"

With regards to Appointment of Auditors:- "The Company may elect to dispense with the audit of its accounts to the extent permitted by Regulations and Companies Acts as shall apply".

Note - the Reg Office is located at the offices of SMP Partners:-
                      Contact Us : SMP Partners

I leave it to you all to Google and read info on Mr Hester - interesting

I would be wondering who is really 'calling the shots' on this Company??

Also of maybe just co-incidental interest - there is another IOM company called just "Contracta Limited" but registered with the same Reg Office address and which was incorporated 26/08/2009 and which had a change of officers on 31/12/2010.

Look back at what DR suggests - what's your choice??
                      Last edited by Freelancer1; 22 March 2011, 16:48. Reason: layout

Comment

Working...
                      X