• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get what you deserve

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
    well think about it, its a great way of getting more money than they would have if they had told us from the start, this way they get the money oweed and all that extra interest earned
    HMRC deserve nothing and will get nothing.

Comment

You're all Tax Dodgers

Just do a quick look at house prices in your area.

Have you ever wondered why at around the Stamp Duty thresholds there is a 'gap' in house prices?

Surely that's not artificial. No, never.

So tell me Mr. HMRC, why is making one's house more marketable & thus aiding and abetting tax avoidance on Stamp Duty acceptable? Hmmmm.

Tax Avoidance is what sensible people do!

While I'm on a roll........
      "Mark Todd (South Derbyshire, Labour)

My understanding is that if one did not make the measure retrospective, one would implicitly be saying that there was some validity in the evasion technique, and that that is the answer to the point made by the hon. Member for Wellingborough."

This f*ckwit doesn't know the difference between evasion & avoidance. Who voted for him? I bet he keeps his marble table. (See MP's expenses)
      Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Last one out, turn off the lights

Just seen this:

<snip>

I liked this:
        Now forgive me for being an optimist, but I thought avoidance was not only an entirely legal activity, but was actively condoned by Parliament, most famously by the then Chancellor when separate taxation for man and wife was introduced. He said, in the House, that every taxpayer is at liberty to arrange their taxation affairs in the most efficient manner
        Wonder how many other people agree with his last sentence:

If I get faced with another five years of Gordon telling me it’s all about fairness, I’m leaving.

Comment

HMRC and my battery chargers have something in common

I recently aquired a new contract which is even closer to home than my previous one. This has been a trend over the last
          couple of years. At this rate I suspect that within the next 9 months my contract will be so close that it'll
          disappear up my bottom.

Talking of arseholes, last night I was flicking channels on the telly when I saw ManLove ranting on about how the Tories
          had used condoms since 2000 to support their parties; or something to that affect. Apparently, William Hague
          only found out about this a month ago. So I suppose he's not the zany, funky guy he thought he was. The commentator
          noted that all parties were like this. The fleeting picture I had was rather off putting to say the least.

Anyway, I digress.

Bored by yet more non-stories from The Prince of Darkness, I decided to go and charge up my old mobile phone.
          I should say that whilst I recently aquired a new iPhone I have kept its predecessor. I appear to have collected
          and retained many electonic gadgets over the years yet oddly, the battery chargers for each never end up in the same
          place as the gadget. The result is, we have a cupboard in the kitchen dedicated to numerous battery chargers with
          no known owner. This gives me a problem. I spent 40 minutes trying to find a charger that connected to my old phone
          with no success, so my old phone is as dead as ManLove's accusations.

My wife came into the kitchen to find out why I was trying to demolish the charger drawer and seemed rather miffed
          that I was rather over-reacting to a simple problem. I pointed out that all electric cables have one thing in common.
          Even though I had always put them in the cupboard neatly, they make love with each other at night resulting in a
          tangled mess that has now become such a nuisance, I had decided to simply take the whole draw load and burn them
          in my Spanish named patio wood burner.

Thankfully, my wife often intervenes at such times otherwise I think the whole house might be little more than
          a rather large pile of smouldering embers.

She pointed out that if I had dealt with the chargers properly at the time, labelled them and ensured they were then kept
          with their owners I would not end up years later making a ludicrous and rash decision that was less than proportionate to
          the problem. As she rightly pointed out, if I cannot be bothered to deal with issues at the time, but choose to let
          them accumulate until I can find no logical way of addressing them then that's my fault and I shouldn't take my
          anger out on the objects of my frustration. The nail in the coffin was that she likened my ramblings and behaviour
          to that of ManLove or "any other of God's rejects that are in the Government."

So now I come to the point of this story. My dilemma appears to resemble the way HMRC have dealt with SA returns
          for us over the last few years. A collection of items they knew about but had no idea or inclination to sought them.
          The result was a tangled mess courtesy of their apathey and lack of good housekeeping.

Just like my chargers, HMRC got themselves tied up in knots, ended up with a problem of their own making and using
          the same ill-founded logic and could care-less attitude as I towards my gadgets, chose the simpler and lazy route
          of tossing the whole lot of us onto the fire to the words "burn baby burn".

Fortunately in my case, my wife's logic prevailed and we now have a well soughted gadget system. My old phone is fully
          charged, but I don't remember the keypad PIN. Still, a much better position than last night though. I think she should
          apply to HMRC for a job...

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
            I ...
            of tossing the whole lot of us onto the fire to the words "burn baby burn".

Fortunately in my case, my wife's logic prevailed and we now have a well soughted gadget system. My old phone is fully
            charged, but I don't remember the keypad PIN. Still, a much better position than last night though. I think she should
            apply to HMRC for a job...
            does your other half know mine?

GOLD.... laughed out loud on the morning tube !
            - SL -

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
              While I'm on a roll........
              "Mark Todd (South Derbyshire, Labour)

My understanding is that if one did not make the measure retrospective, one would implicitly be saying that there was some validity in the evasion technique, and that that is the answer to the point made by the hon. Member for Wellingborough."

This flipwit doesn't know the difference between evasion & avoidance. Who voted for him? I bet he keeps his marble table. (See MP's expenses)
              And this is the largest piece of idiot logic I've seen in some time.

Comment

What disturbs me mostly about the vote that has left all of us nervous, is that it was decided by a handful of people with little or no grasp on the situation. These same people were then told to vote in a particular way (party line). I thought democracy was about free speach, the rote to an opinion and all that. How them is it that the parties are more or less forced to vote in a particular way.

I particularly like the comment about - the path to tyranny. Aren't we already there.

With regards to the naming and shaming I wonder how they decide who goes up there. Is it the likes of us who have legally avoided the tax or only the folk that have evaded tax? I think I would be suing them for slander if they put my name up there for obeying the law.
                Last edited by Slobbo; 5 March 2010, 11:15.
                Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post

With regards to the naming and shaming I wonder how they decide who goes up there. Is it the likes of us who have legally avoided the tax or only the folk that have evaded tax? I think I would be suing them for slander if they put my name up there for obeying the law.
                  Just a pedantic point, it would be libel rather than slander

Comment

Absolutely right. Always wondered what the difference was

Slander - spoken
                    Libel - printed
                    Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

artificial

The thing that sticks in my throat is Parker stating our scheme is wholly artificial with no commercial purpose but to avoid tax. By implication an ISA must also fall into that category, it serves no commercial purpose but to avoid tax..so I await ISA's being made retrospectively illegal, surely the same rules must apply across the board, not selectively

Comment

Working...
                      X