• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I got a nice letter on this subject just before Christmas too, sent to Montp

Comment

Folks,
      Be aware that the contents of this forum can be read by anybody. It is perhaps not the most secure place to be discussing your current tax-planning arrangements...

Comment

Something I have learned over the past 8 years.

The two main functions of an HMRC Special Investigation Officer are:

1) writing letters

2)

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

1) writing letters

2)
          Posted knowing that 1 of them is bound to be watching

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

1) writing letters

2)
            DR, you're nearly always spot on. But this time I might be less sure. Are you saying that other than writing letters, they spend their time trying to get pesky ketchup out of a bottle with a whistful look? Or could it be blood from a stone?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
              I received the letter regarding the loan on my 2008-2009 tax return last September (was thinking of taking the option of not including the loan on my return but didn't want to be accused of hiding anything to add to my BN66 worries). Sent it to MontP immediately.

Hector wanted a reply within 30 days but MontP didn't reply for two months - I think the delay was because this was one of the first letters and their tax people had to get the wording of the response sorted out (oh and because they are busy of course), so I wouldn't expect other responses to take as long.

The reply was sent to Hector in November anyway and I've yet to hear anything from him regarding that since, which was a surprise as my local Hector is very "efficient" - I was expecting my normal Xmas greeting from him ("I don't care, pay up now") but if he sent anything he probably took advantage of the poor weather in December to ensure that his second class brown envelope got lost in the post and he could then get heavy handed (unless it was a closure of investigation with no extra tax to pay letter, ha ha!) - good job I stopped opening my front door to anyone I wasn't expecting when we lost the JR last January anyway...

I left MontP a year ago but since I used the loan scheme until the end of 2009 I fully expect the same letter from Hector shortly after my 2009-2010 tax return is submitted (even though it will get the same response from MontP).
              Perhaps you should begin submitting FoI and DPA requestions now - find out what they have said about you before they get a chance to lose the bits of paper.
              There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Is there really no such thing as bad publicity?

Probe into the taxman's deals with big business amid claims Vodaphone was let off £6bn bill | Mail Online

With a lovely picture of Dave Hartnett too.

HMRC has obviously upset someone with some influence in the media. Can all this bad press be a conincidence or is there someone fighting back?

The more people who realise what a state they are in, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by theywontbreakme View Post
                  Probe into the taxman's deals with big business amid claims Vodaphone was let off £6bn bill | Mail Online

With a lovely picture of Dave Hartnett too.

HMRC has obviously upset someone with some influence in the media. Can all this bad press be a conincidence or is there someone fighting back?

The more people who realise what a state they are in, the better.

"Mr Hartnett believes that it is better to do deals with companies in order to bring in revenue for the Exchequer, rather than get caught up in lengthy and expensive court battles."
                  Did I read this right? So what's going on via the courts with BN66 Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                    that is why I am here....

When i first moved here i could save more than i earnt in australia....

That has changed a bit now with GBP being so weak....

I haven't been back for a while bit $11 for a pint seems a bit rich!... Where the hell were you drinking? The Ritz?
                    Haha, no mate, most bars in Melbourne City Centre!

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
                      "Mr Hartnett believes that it is better to do deals with companies in order to bring in revenue for the Exchequer, rather than get caught up in lengthy and expensive court battles."
                      Utter BS Hartnett, it would be better for the Exchequer not to bankrupt me thus preventing me from ever working again in my field of expertise – as a result my family will become dependent on the state rather than contribute to it!!!! Now Dave “talks from the anus” Harnett, kindly explain to me how that’s better for the Exchequer….

Also, Mr Breath of farts Harnett, kindly compare the amount of backdated tax you and your cronies believe I owe as a result of BN66 to that you allowed Vodaphone to write off and explain to me how that’s fair!!! How is it fair to have one rule for big business and fat cats and another for individuals such as us who earn many orders of magnitude less, are less able to defend ourselves, and have more to lose!

Comment

Working...
                      X