• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
    Agreed, however it would’ve been nice to see HMRC put on the spot by asking for evidence of this which I seriously doubt they would’ve been able to provide (even if given sufficient time to retrieve the appropriate documentation) which would’ve shown them in rather a bad light….. After all there is a very big difference between suspecting someone’s identity and stating that you know who they are!!

If you can show someone is willing to make such wild claims without any basis in fact you can then start to question their entire decision making process based on their willingness to fudge the facts in their favour. With those sort of morals they’ll soon be introducing legislation without bothering to perform the required impact analysis because they suspect it’s not necessary – oh wait, they’ve already done that!!

I’m just glad the judges treated this with the contempt it so obviously deserved!
    Its a shame the Judges don't treat the rest of their case with the contempt that it obviously deserves...
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Announcement

Last week I heard a rumour from another promoter that Montpelier were making substantial redundancies in the Isle of Man. This has now been confirmed and I wanted you to read this here first.

I asked Montpelier if they had a message to convey to clients, and I’m repeating this here verbatim. Apart from this, I don’t have any further information.

Message from Montpelier

In light of the changing attitude and climate in the UK to tax planning, where tax evasion and tax avoidance are wrongly being regarded as the same and legislation is being reinterpreted backwards, Montpelier is no longer offering tax avoidance schemes.

It will however continue to support clients who have implemented prior schemes and offer non aggressive bespoke planning hence the need to scale down on staff levels.

It will also continue to pursue s58.

Comment

I dont read it that way squicker. I think MP are smart enough to realise tax avoidance is a dying trade in some cases. But remember how much money MP still have at stake off the back of s58.

Comment

Mont P

Thanks for the info DR. Not the best news.

In my opinion, as much as it affects us very deeply as individuals, the whole point the retrospective legislation wasn't to recoup lost tax revenue, it was make it fecking difficult for anyone and everyone using or involved in any tax minimization/avoidance scheme that was mass marketed.

So, I guess that means that HRMC have won their battle quite a while back, its just that Mont P said "uncle".

But really, all I care about is our battle, which goes on... at least until we hear back from the three chaps in curly wigs.

cf

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            .... But remember how much money MP still have at stake off the back of s58.
            Can some please PM/explain this to me please.

cf

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Message from Montpelier

.... Montpelier is no longer offering tax avoidance schemes.
              I would be supprised if they don't still offer Tax planning advice though, and vehicles to help with that. Is that not the basis for a large part of their business model? As well as a lot of other firms.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                I would be supprised if they don't still offer Tax planning advice though, and vehicles to help with that. Is that not the basis for a large part of their business model? As well as a lot of other firms.
                They have diversified over recent years, through mergers and acquistions, into mainstream accounting and financial services. Also, I presume they will still offer tax planning outside the UK.

I wouldn't have thought scaling back in the UK would affect the overall Group that much.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog
                  The minute our SA's become accepted we have ot pay MP back some cash...that was their way of providing some kind of guarantee.....
                  sorry? *we* have to pay MP some cash?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    sorry? *we* have to pay MP some cash?
                    Not necessarily "you", it depended on the fee structure when you joined the arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Last week I heard a rumour from another promoter that Montpelier were making substantial redundancies in the Isle of Man. This has now been confirmed and I wanted you to read this here first.

I asked Montpelier if they had a message to convey to clients, and I’m repeating this here verbatim. Apart from this, I don’t have any further information.

Message from Montpelier

In light of the changing attitude and climate in the UK to tax planning, where tax evasion and tax avoidance are wrongly being regarded as the same and legislation is being reinterpreted backwards, Montpelier is no longer offering tax avoidance schemes.

It will however continue to support clients who have implemented prior schemes and offer non aggressive bespoke planning hence the need to scale down on staff levels.

It will also continue to pursue s58.
                      Thanks for the post DR. Does that mean the IOM office is closing? Who do we contact when we get demands/notices from HMRC. Is TQ and NW still at MP?

Comment

Working...
                      X