• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Yes.
    Sounds like quite a dude from his profile there.

Comment

Yes.
      Hes not shy of the Human Rights act either:

Last year, Sir Jeremy ruled that government control orders on six terror suspects were so strict that they broke Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which outlaws indefinite detention without trial.

He also dislikes procedural unfairness, which we have very much been victims of, seems like our kind of Judge to me:

At the High Court, he said Laurence and Rachel Banks, from Kent, were the victims of "procedural unfairness" after movement restrictions on their herd nearly put them out of business.

not so convinced about his choice of hobby tho??:

Sir Jeremy, who has been twice married, lists his hobby as the Wotton Light Railway in Buckinghamshire.
      Last edited by smalldog; 22 October 2010, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        not so convinced about his choice of hobby tho??:

Sir Jeremy, who has been twice married, lists his hobby as the Wotton Light Railway in Buckinghamshire.
        I saw that!

He appears to be a fair man not prepared to be bogged by down concensus, adverse public opinion or *derailed* by non-relevant matters.

Essentially, it ought not to matter; a judge is a judge, but I'll sleep better at night knowing someone with a history of diong the right thing in some difficult cases (terrorism always induces polemic IMO) is in the room.

Comment

Someone, whose opinion I respect, sent me an email today raising a concern that the Judges may not view our case dispassionately because their own pay has been frozen, legal aid is being cut and as many as 14,000 jobs could be lost in the Ministry of Justice.

They may feel that everyone should pay their fair share of taxes.

I hope this doesn't preclude us from getting a fair hearing.

Comment

Someone, whose opinion I respect, sent me an email today raising a concern that the Judges may not view our case dispassionately because their own pay has been frozen, legal aid is being cut and as many as 14,000 jobs could be lost in the Ministry of Justice.

DR, but from what IVe read there are a fair few people working in the justice and legal systems that utilise tax planning, you never know...

Comment

Date yet??????????????????

Hi there all - good to see the forum is as strong as ever. Little one has kept me busy but I am watching with anticipation.

Any news on a specific date for our case?

Fog
              Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Or they may decide to use a bit of offshore avoidance themselves to up their earnings!

Comment

I have never considered myself as being one that hasn't paid a fair share of Taxes
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                    I have never considered myself as being one that hasn't paid a fair share of Taxes
                    me neither, you wanna see my corporation tax bills!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                      And my wife has done a lot to contribute to VAT revenue.

Comment

Working...
                      X