• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Basically, government run the country in conjunction with big corporations.

Because of this, only small businesses are fair game to HMRC.
    Well basically Voda were left off with paying £800k against a £6000m tax bill!!!

Suits me thats approx .013% of what they owed. So I assume, as its right and proper that rules apply across the board. Therefore HMRC will settle for .013% of what they think I, and we all owe for avoidance. That means I have to pay back approx £17 (on my circa £130k CN's).

Ok then Dave, go on I'll pay up...what number do I call, can pay it tonight if you want??

Somewhat puts their deal into perspective dont you think!!!
    Last edited by smalldog; 16 September 2010, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      Well basically Voda were left off with paying £800k against a £6000m tax bill!!!
      The Mail got it wrong. It was £800m + £450m over 5 years (not £k).

Nevertheless, a saving of £6bn wasn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        The Mail got it wrong. It was £800m + £450m over 5 years (not £k).

Nevertheless, a saving of £6bn wasn't bad.
        sorry but isnt that £6bn the country cant afford according to current reports? Because apparently they cant afford to write off the PAYE owed money, some small sum of £1.2bn, so I assume they also cant afford to write off the £6bn Voda owe?

So I assume Davey boy had that write off authorised?

I hope there is something our defence can use out of all this, as it utterly stinks...

Comment

I just caught up with a guy I used to work with who was in the scheme for nearly half a mil and he's quitting the country. After we got our arses kicked in the high court he shelled out for an opinion from a top city law firm who rated our chances of ever winning as close to zero. Although it was just one opinion it was enough to persuade him to start packing his bags.

This ain't an option for me but others might want to consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
            I just caught up with a guy I used to work with who was in the scheme for nearly half a mil and he's quitting the country. After we got our arses kicked in the high court he shelled out for an opinion from a top city law firm who rated our chances of ever winning as close to zero. Although it was just one opinion it was enough to persuade him to start packing his bags.

I dont see running away as an option, implications being you are never ever coming back to blighty or you run the risk at the airport of being accompanied by HMG to a local tax office to hand over a big cheque. Also implies you have to cut all ties, friends, family etc to prevent you needing to come back...not worth it for me, after all its only money...

Suspect the same legal expert would have also said the chances of HMRC waiving interest on overdue PAYE tax payments was also near to zero...until this week that is
            Last edited by smalldog; 17 September 2010, 09:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post

not an option for me either, bankruptcy is more likely for me if we lose this. If its going to drag on for lots more years, at least we have more time to plan.

but its Friday - lets not be down beat, if we had no chance of winning why would we be allowed to appeal?

Comment

I dont see running away as an option, implications being you are never ever coming back to blighty or you run the risk at the airport of being accompanied by HMG to a local tax office to hand over a big cheque. Also implies you have to cut all ties, friends, family etc to prevent you needing to come back...not worth it for me, after all its only money...

Suspect the same legal expert would have also said the chances of HMRC waiving interest on overdue PAYE tax payments was also near to zero...until this week that is
                Hear, hear!

Not an option for me either, and I suspect for most of us.
                I am supremely confident that will (eventually) overturn this despicable & vindictive legislation.

I am remaining upbeat! United we stand......
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

He's barking. Not only will he never be able to come back to the UK, he won't be able to go to any countries with extradition treaties with the UK, which is a very large part of the world indeed. It's not just having to hand over a large cheque; the authorities take a very dim view indeed of this kind of thing and I suspect he'd be looking at jail time if he wasn't very careful.

Comment

Contacting the Treasury Committee....

Would it be useful to contact the treasury committee now that they have the beating stick out for HMRC ?
                    SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
                      He's barking. Not only will he never be able to come back to the UK, he won't be able to go to any countries with extradition treaties with the UK, which is a very large part of the world indeed. It's not just having to hand over a large cheque; the authorities take a very dim view indeed of this kind of thing and I suspect he'd be looking at jail time if he wasn't very careful.
                      It's extreme to say the least but, having said that, there's no way HMRC would get permission to extradite over a tax debt. Also, there are plenty of countries in the world which would never cooperate with the UK tax authorities.

It would serve HMRC & Government right if people did leave. Not only would they be unable to collect this tax but they'd also be kissing goodbye to future tax receipts and losing a lot of talented people with significant spending power.

EDIT

Ok, I know what HMRC will say: we don't want people in this country who try to avoid paying tax. However, what they forget is that these people are contributing to the country in many ways:
                      1) saving for retirement (less burden on the state)
                      2) paying for private education and healthcare (ditto)
                      3) paying VAT & duty on stuff they buy
                      4) keeping other people in jobs (who pay tax/nic)

In many ways, money in the economy is circular in nature. Eventually, tax gets paid on it one way or another.

However, there is one sure fire way of making money disappear from an economy...

...namely by driving people abroad.
                      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 17 September 2010, 12:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X