• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will of Parliament

I was having my gentle sunday run and was just thinking about this whole court going against the will of parliament...

Im not sure if you lot remember, but the Commons couldnt agree and if you read through the commons debate minutes most of the MP's said they would only let this stand as they eventually felt if it was contested then the courts would decide who was right and who was wrong...

So its wrong to say the legilsation was passed by the will of parliament. Parliament deferred it to the courts as they couldnt decide, in which case any appeal court judges decision would not fly in the face of the will of parliament. That was the MP's intention, to let the courts decide on the validity of the argument.

just thought it might be worth reiterating this as Im sure Singh et al will say the court should let parliament decide and the courts shouldnt interfere, well parliament couldnt decide so it wasnt their will.
    Last edited by smalldog; 13 September 2010, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      I was having my gentle sunday run and was just thinking about this whole court going against the will of parliament...

Im not sure if you lot remember, but the Commons couldnt agree and if you read through the commons debate minutes most of the MP's said they would only let this stand as they eventually felt if it was contested then the courts would decide who was right and who was wrong...

So its wrong to say the legilsation was passed by the will of parliament. Parliament deferred it to the courts as they couldnt decide, in which case any appeal court judges decision would not fly in the face of the will of parliament. That was the MP's intention, to let the courts decide on the validity of the argument.

just thought it might be worth reiterating this as Im sure Singh et al will say the court should let parliament decide and the courts shouldnt interfere
      Not sure about this. The debate went to a division and the Labour government won by virtue of its majority. Tories and Libdems on the committee voted against but I don't recall there being any mention at the time of it ultimately being decided in court.

However, it is true that the new government (Gauke) has issued a statement saying that they believe the courts should decide the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        this is scathing:

Top taxman forced into humiliating apology | This is Money

shame they arent selling tickets!!!

The Mail on Sunday understands that Mr Hartnett came under huge pressure from Mr Osborne and his Exchequer Secretary David Gauke.

Tomorrow morning, Mr Gauke will give Mr Hartnett a dressing-down at the Treasury headquarters.

Wow, Gauke giving Harnett a dressing down. I thought it was HMRC who told the govt. what to do!
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

HMRC is sh.te website.

www.hmrconline.com

(Factoid: the donkey in the picture is called Dilbert - my thanks to the loyal reader who sent me Dilbert's photo and gave me permission to use it - Dilbert wishes to make it clear than any physical resemblance to Hartnett is an unfortunate coincidence).
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 13 September 2010, 10:47.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            HMRC Is tulipe

(Factoid: the donkey in the picture is called Dilbert - my thanks to the loyal reader who sent me Dilbert's photo and gave me permission to use it - Dilbert wishes to make it clear than any physical resemblance to Hartnett is an unfortunate coincidence).
            Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              Love it!
              go on dilbert my boy....

quick question, why are HMRC charging people interest (3%) for something that wasnt their fault?? How are they allowed to get away with this....
              Last edited by smalldog; 13 September 2010, 13:51.

Comment

Hartnett expected to face grilling by the all powerful Treasury Committee.

The Press Association: HMRC boss faces tax demand grilling

Comment

Hartnett expected to face grilling by the all powerful Treasury Committee.

The Press Association: HMRC boss faces tax demand grilling
                  he's basically being sent to the gallows, see ya Dave, enjoy your pension, you like ancient roman philosophy apparently, ever heard the expression "thrown to the lions"?? good riddance you arrogant vindictive little man..I just hope you cant sleep at night until this is all over, then you may just get a snippet of what a lot of us have had for the last seven or so years....

excellent job HMG, regardles of us winning if nothing else you are actually brave enough to clout HMRC round the ear and show them who really is the boss, unlike the NuLabour goons..Lets hope this is the start of people being brought back into line.
                  Last edited by smalldog; 13 September 2010, 15:56.

Comment

That grimace on Hartnett's face looks like it might get stuck

Comment

HMRC is sh.te website.

HMRC Is tulipe

Thats made my morning. I vote Dilbert to replace Hartnett

Comment

Working...
                      X