• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcuss View Post
    Same - delurking... with info on heavy weight media on the side of the 'victims'...

"The most respectable tax revolt on the airwaves" :
    The most respectable tax revolt on the airwaves | News

And the actual program : BBC iPlayer - Money Box Live: 08/09/2010

Gauke is coming up with 'concessions' as he can smell bad vibes around this issue... Hope he fails.

If we were in the States, we (most of the Country) would be filing a class action against HMRC - probably coming up with the actual grounds for doing so some time later - but we'd at least be getting a damned good brief onto it bloody fast!

Failing that, is there not something (or someone) we could go and burn in Parliament Square?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxDude View Post
      Out of interest, anyone know which IT firm wrote the PAYE system?
      May send them my CV :-)
      EDS (HP these days I think) did everything up to around 2005 before being replaced by Cap Gemini, so it'll be one or ther other. Draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Splash View Post
        De-lurking momentarily, DR this is indeed a good find as looking at recent posts it would appear that government and indeed HRMC are tying to position themselves in good stead if they should want to turn public opinion against the likes of us... I would not be surprised if this was their tactic.
        If this is their tactic, then it's a f*****g dumb one.

The only thing HMRC have succeeded in doing so far is turning public opinion against themselves.

Let's see if they are stupid enough to go ahead with their plan to reassess the full 6 years of PAYE.

By the time they're through they will be so hated and despised that they won't be able to muster an ounce of public support.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          If this is their tactic, then it's a f*****g dumb one.

The only thing HMRC have succeeded in doing so far is turning public opinion against themselves.

Let's see if they are stupid enough to go ahead with their plan to reassess the full 6 years of PAYE.

By the time they're through they will be so hated and despised that they won't be able to muster an ounce of public support.
          It wont be the general public hating them, it will be dept of work and pensions who then have to calculate who now qualifies for benefits or additional benefits peoples due to some peoples additional tax meaning they actually have less take home pay for a given tax year. Assume that will also require a new IT system.........can you imagine the cluster F**k that would be!!!!

Heard that on the Radio, sounds like a complete mess....oooohhh shame....HMRC acting unilaterally again without thinking about the consequences?? NEVER surely not...
          Last edited by smalldog; 10 September 2010, 09:26.

Comment

ESC A19

I quote from HMRC's own website:

Underpayments/Overpayments: Revenue delay: Extra statutory concession ESC A19

"Arrears of income tax and capital gains tax may be given up if they result from the Inland Revenue's failure to make proper and timely use of information supplied by a taxpayer about his or her own income, gains or personal circumstances.

"Tax will normally be given up only where the taxpayer
            1) could reasonably have believed that his or her tax affairs were in order, and
            2) was notified of the arrears more than 12 months after the end of the tax year in which the Inland Revenue received the information indicating that more tax was due."
            Reference clause 1), I contend that letter of the law at the time led me to believe that my tax affairs were in order.

Reference clause 2), I challenge whether HMRC received any additional information (over and above what was on my original tax return) in the 12 months prior to sending me my Closure Notice.

Comment

One thing is becoming clear

Given the Government's backing for this PAYE fiasco, I don't think we can count on any support from Gauke et al even if we win our case.

I can see them encouraging HMRC to pursue us relentlessly.

All the Government seems to be interested in is grabbing money and to hell with any principles.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Given the Government's backing for this PAYE fiasco, I don't think we can count on any support from Gauke et al even if we win our case.

I can see them encouraging HMRC to pursue us relentlessly.

All the Government seems to be interested in is grabbing money and to hell with any principles.
                lucky the majority of the general public dont think like that or there would be a lot more pimps and drug dealers knocking around...

Comment

Mental mental

so Dave says "I'm not sure I see a need to apologise" with respect to the most recent mess at HMRC

Now think of this .. irrespective of the legality or morality or rights and wrongs of our case....surely it's clear something very wrong i.e. number of years to make up an approach...crappy efforts to resolve.. long winding legal cases costing the tax payers of the country....etc etc

In any other industry this guy.. (the head of the business who is screwing up) would be getting the sack

How does he have the front to come out with this??? why is he not being brought to book??

Nothing surprises me any more

fj

Comment

Originally posted by funjim View Post
                    so Dave says "I'm not sure I see a need to apologise" with respect to the most recent mess at HMRC
                    BBC News - Revenue and Customs boss says he need not apologise

The arrogance of these people is truly astounding.

If there is one good thing to come out of this - it might focus the minds of the "general public" who would have viewed BN66 purely as tax dodgers and would have probably encouraged HMRC to pursue you. Your claims of "they'll be after you next" have largely fallen on deaf ears. Maybe not so much now...
                    Last edited by centurian; 11 September 2010, 07:10.

Comment

Tax inspectors get police-like powers

Tax inspectors get police-like powers to tackle tax evaders - Telegraph

Comment

Working...
                      X