• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light at the end of the tunnel

Call me an optimist but I think this is the turning point. Clearly a new strategy has kicked in at HMRC under this coalition which is different than the bullying approach under Old New Labour. The new "softly softly" approach is a win/win so long as the retorspective bull*hit is dropped and no doubt there will be more tax money coming in instead of a lengthy/costly legal fight. Well done everyone for all the letters to the MPs. We need to keep the pressure up.

Suits me just fine

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      I wonder if anyone at HMRC has the balls to investigate Mr Blairs web of companies, I assume all his tax returns have been accepted without question being one of the old boys?

Can’t remember where I read it but if I’m not mistaken the government under Blair introduced legislation that ensured (ex) heads of state didn’t have to provide proof of income (or something along those lines) and could therefore do whatever they liked – net result is that HMRC will never look at the structure those twelve companies provide….

One rule for them and one for us…. And they call us the criminals!!

If I could be bothered I’d do some googling to dig out the details but quite frankly I can’t be bothered wasting my time – I don’t need google to tell me how twofaced these crooks are!!!

Comment

Originally posted by not-a-penny View Post
        Call me an optimist but I think this is the turning point. Clearly a new strategy has kicked in at HMRC under this coalition which is different than the bullying approach under Old New Labour. The new "softly softly" approach is a win/win so long as the retorspective bull*hit is dropped and no doubt there will be more tax money coming in instead of a lengthy/costly legal fight. Well done everyone for all the letters to the MPs. We need to keep the pressure up.

Suits me just fine
        nahhh think they just read my post from the other day asking when they were going to start doing some business case analysis!!!

any way we can encourage them to use our case as the pilot????!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          nahhh think they just read my post from the other day asking when they were going to start doing some business case analysis!!!

any way we can encourage them to use our case as the pilot????!!!!
          Business Case Analysis?!!! I thought the only strategy they had was "shake the tree and pickup the easy ones that fall". Judging by their dismal record in winning IR35 cases, the only money they made was through contractors rolling over in fear. Disgraceful.

Comment

Thi can only be good news, I think, but I wouldn't trust those tulips. I laughed out loud at the bit about being too black and white about the law. If ever there was an organisation that bent it to their whim, or even just ignored it when it suited them it was that bunch of gits.

They don't have the money to pursue cases for years. Simple as that, so why not come out and admit it, and shove this friendly, cuddly HMRC bulltulip up their arse.

Lol, filter added the tulip but above, but it sounds like it might be painful, so I'll just leave it in.
            Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 20 August 2010, 19:56.

Comment

Anything that comes out of HMRC is just posturing and rhetoric.

I wouldn't trust them further than I can throw my granny.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

HMRC Letter

Hi

I had a surprise waiting for me on Friday from our friends at HMRC for my Self Assessment or year ended 5th April 2000. It went along the lines of...

It has come to my attention that you have included details of a chargeable gain with your tax return...
                The result is that capital gains tax has not been charged...
                I have adjusted your tax return to include the chargeable gain...
                Please pay £999999999 by 15 September...

Details are I left the schememid way through the tax year 08 / 09 and operated a ltd company - there were no other Capital Gains detailed on my return.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks CC

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
                  If like me you've got no hope of meeting your liability I can't see any point to saving or investing. Why should we scrape by just to hand over the money to the people who put us in this mess?

As the famous saying goes eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
                  I completely agree with this, **** 'em. Even if I save like mad for the next few years they'll clean me out, so now I work 6 or 7 months a year in order I can spend more time with my family. They can't take that time back or those memories from me, so it's a good investment as far as I am concerned. It's only money and it can be re-earned when the time comes, but I can't ever get back time I miss watching my children grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornish Cream View Post
                    Hi

I had a surprise waiting for me on Friday from our friends at HMRC for my Self Assessment or year ended 5th April 2000. It went along the lines of...

It has come to my attention that you have included details of a chargeable gain with your tax return...
                    The result is that capital gains tax has not been charged...
                    I have adjusted your tax return to include the chargeable gain...
                    Please pay £999999999 by 15 September...

Details are I left the schememid way through the tax year 08 / 09 and operated a ltd company - there were no other Capital Gains detailed on my return.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks CC
                    Either you made a huge profit on something you sold, or HMRC's computer has crashed again.

A bill for £999 million - that is something you don't see everyday. It's best to get on top of this right away (either via your agent, or direct) as notices like this go directly to their debt collectors.
                    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X