• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    There's no tax on any profits from spreadbetting. However, I think this would still constitute hazardous speculation.
    SB is only tax free if it's not your primary source of income. If it becomes your primary source then any profits are taxable.

Comment

European Court of Human Rights

If we end up there it could take a very, very long time.

Enhancing Parliament's role in relation to human rights judgments - Human Rights Joint Committee

1. The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) is in crisis. It is a victim of its own success in establishing itself as the authoritative human rights court for 800 million citizens of 47 European countries. The number of cases currently pending before it is almost 120,000. The number of new applications in 2009 was almost 57,000, compared to 8,400 in 1999. Despite considerable improvements in the productivity of the Court, the gap between the number of decisions and judgments it delivers and the number of incoming applications remains large and continues to widen. So, not only is the backlog enormous, it is steadily getting worse: the Court simply cannot keep up with the influx of applications. Unless something radical is done, and done soon, there is a real risk that the Court will drown under the flood of applications,[1] and its widely recognised achievements as a champion of the values underpinning democracy and the rule of law in Europe will be undermined.

Comment

Further to my previous post.

BBC News - Mammoth backlog prompts European rights court reforms

"But it now has a backlog of some 120,000 cases - if it continues to work at its present pace, it would take 46 years to clear them, our correspondent says."

Comment

Just in case anyone wasn't aware of this.

Montpelier has committed to taking the case to ECtHR.

I'm not sure whether it would be worth keeping the forum going if we get there.

Comment

I've received a few emails from people about the appeals process through the various courts. The following links should help explain.

Supreme Court

BBC News - Today - A power supreme?

"I think we'll get an act of parliament in fairly dramatic terms which is probably not human rights compatible,"

Court Hierarchy

Courts of England and Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See "Relationship with European Court of Justice" for PwC's possible route to Europe.

See "Relationship with the European Court of Human Rights" for our possible route.
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 6 August 2010, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
              SB is only tax free if it's not your primary source of income. If it becomes your primary source then any profits are taxable.
              Not true. There is a famous case documented where a pro-gambler was taken to court by HMRC and won.

EDIT: Found the link:

Graham v Green [1925] 9TC309

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim22017.htm

The fact that a taxpayer has a system by which they place their bets, or that they are sufficiently successful to earn a living by gambling does not make their activities a trade.
              Last edited by SantaClaus; 6 August 2010, 18:47.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Further to my previous post.

BBC News - Mammoth backlog prompts European rights court reforms

"But it now has a backlog of some 120,000 cases - if it continues to work at its present pace, it would take 46 years to clear them, our correspondent says."

Message to HMRC. See you in Europe... in about 50 years time, assuming I'm not dead by then

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Message to HMRC. See you in Europe... in about 50 years time, assuming I'm not dead by then
                  I wonder what the interest will be on the tax due after 50 years. Better start saving for it now on second thought, screw them.

Comment

Originally posted by not-a-penny View Post
                    I wonder what the interest will be on the tax due after 50 years. Better start saving for it now on second thought, screw them.
                    oh, it will probably amount to the debt of a third world country for every person on the scheme

Comment

ECHR judgement

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                      oh, it will probably amount to the debt of a third world country for every person on the scheme
                      just had a look at recent cases with a verdict on ECHR Portal HTML View

and most recent verdict took 5 years - that was before the current backlog. So does this really mean this will be hanging over us for at least 5 years and possible more likely 10!

Comment

Working...
                      X