• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably won't last long but I've copied all the comments from the original thread into a new one started by someone else.

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/restor...=most_comments

This is the least I could do since I encouraged people to add duplicates which probably got us gagged.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Probably won't last long but I've copied all the comments from the original thread into a new one started by someone else.

Restoring civil liberties — HMG - Your Freedom

This is the least I could do since I encouraged people to add duplicates which probably got us gagged.
      Well done DR. We seem to be steaming up the ratings again.

It would be great if the assembled great and good on this site would once again add their comments and a 5* vote.

We will win this guys. The more abusive they get the more determined we get.

If anyone at YourFreedom or HMRC want to wave a white flag you know where we are.

Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/restor...=most_comments

My alter-ego has added a comment on my behalf.

BTW I agree with Emigre.
        Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Viral Email

Not everyone agrees with what we did but if we can get people we know to look at our cause on the Your Freedom site, and to read just the first 20 comments, I think we would get many of them to add their votes and comments to it.

I have penned some suggested wording below which you are welcome to cut and paste or maybe just send your own words. The point is that our plight is ours today but with a precedent established could so easily be their plight tomorrow.

Hi

I have sent you this email because I know that you are concerned at the amount of tax that you pay.

During the last administration a piece of legislation was enacted that effectively allowed HMRC to claim tax from individuals on a retrospective basis back to 1987 and under some interpretations back as far as the War. The legislation involved S58 Finance Act 2008 relates to a specific area of tax law and impacts approximately 2,500 self-employed people. These people had done a bit of legal tax planning, in the same way that you or I invest in ISAs. The impact of S58 FA 2008 has been to change retrspectively the legality of their earlier financial decisions.

This sets an extremely uncomfortable precedent in that this legislation can now be used as a precedent to justify the retrospective change to almost any tax law. In other words, it could be you next. With the UK's finances the way they are it is more likely than not that there will be further use of retrospection. The next use could be to increase the basic rate of tax by 5% for the last 10 years. How would that affect you?

The 2,500 affected people have initiated a Judicial Review of the legislation on the grounds of infringement of Human Rights. This litigation is making its way slowly through the Courts now and may take another 5 or more years if it needs to go as far as the European Court of Human Rights.

Nick Clegg has presented us with an opportunity to complain against this legislation with the creation of the Your Freedom website. An "idea" has been set up requesting repeal of the retrospective aspects of S58 FA2008 but with only 2,500 people affected we need your help to raise our profile. I have attached a link below to the thread on the Your Freedom site and I ask that you take 5 minutes out of your schedule to read the complaint and a few of the comments made. If you feel similarly threatened by this legislation then I ask you please to register (if you have not already done so) and to vote with 5* and add a comment.

Linkie

Thank you for your time. This isn't a chain letter but please forward this email to everyone you know that pays tax and who you think may feel similarly threatened by this legislation.
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Restoring civil liberties — HMG - Your Freedom

Well done DR - sterling job.

I think we should only put relevant and non spamming updates on this thread from now on...

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
              Well done DR - sterling job.

I think we should only put relevant and non spamming updates on this thread from now on...
              So far they haven't pulled it, which I'm surprised about.

I agree, no more duplicates.

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/restor...08-finance-act

Comment

Hmm, the website appears to have crashed under the large number of users! Quality.

Comment

anyone???

added my two pennies worth to the new thread.

and one subject matter that has two votes in total is number one, what a load of bull! gonna vote it down..

guys someone is voting us down, I literally checked within 5 minutes and guess what we had been massively bumped down, there are bullsh*t ideas ranked above us, we apparently are only 4.6 on the scale, hard to believe. Rigged me thinks, get voting!!!! So much for a fair government cnuts

hello HMG site admin, you wnaker. PS admin, i might think what you are doing is deplorable however im sure you have a price! ;-)
                  Last edited by smalldog; 9 July 2010, 23:49.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    added my two pennies worth to the new thread.

and one subject matter that has two votes in total is number one, what a load of bull! gonna vote it down..

guys someone is voting us down, I literally checked within 5 minutes and guess what we had been massively bumped down, there are bullsh*t ideas ranked above us, we apparently are only 4.6 on the scale, hard to believe. Rigged me thinks, get voting!!!! So much for a fair government cnuts

hello HMG site admin, you wnaker. PS admin, i might think what you are doing is deplorable however im sure you have a price! ;-)
                    Whoever devised the rankings was clueless.

Highest rated ideas takes the average which is worthless. An idea with one vote of 5-star is ranked higher than an idea with 100 votes, 99 of which are 5-star and one is 4-star. (They would have been better off ranking by the sum of the ratings, rather than the average.)

Ideas with most comments is a bit more meaningful but this allows the likes of us to top the leader board simply by adding multiple comments.

I'm not sure I believe this figure but there's no doubt it was done on the cheap.

Government website that will ask public what services to cut will cost

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      Spirit of the law, laughable isnt it, that is basically a get out of jail free card for them to rewind what they did under the guise of, "oh yes of course we meant that really". what a load of tosh!
                      Agreed it's a cop-out, but this sentence basically says "up yours" to the whole spirit of the law argument.... (at least, that's how I read it).

" if the Crown, seeking to recover the tax, cannot bring the subject within the letter of the law, the subject is free, however apparently within the spirit of the law the case might otherwise appear to be."

Comment

Working...
                      X