• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
    It's also entirely possible that they are bunch of incompetent/lazy dolts who can't tell their arse from their elbow...
    Normally I'd tend to agree with you but I'm sure these requests are being given very special treatment. The higher-ups preparing the responses are clearly very wiley.

Of course no-one is infallible.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Normally I'd tend to agree with you but I'm sure these requests are being given very special treatment. The higher-ups preparing the responses are clearly very wiley.

Of course no-one is infallible.
      Given their inconsistency in performing such tasks like answering the phone, corresponding by mail etc, I don't have too much confidence that FOI requests would be handled any more thoroughly. Half of me agrees with you entirely, but the other half thinks it's possibly the luck of the draw as to who picks up the request.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
        Given their inconsistency in performing such tasks like answering the phone, corresponding by mail etc, I don't have too much confidence that FOI requests would be handled any more thoroughly. Half of me agrees with you entirely, but the other half thinks it's possibly the luck of the draw as to who picks up the request.
        This was certainly the case in the beginning but all recent responses have come from a senior officer. References have also been made to their legal department being involved.

I don't believe these requests are being treated strictly in accordance with the terms of the Freedom of Information Act. There is clear evidence of interference from people higher up the chain.

Comment

For the record:
          I've since last summer setup my own business with a few colleagues. Business hasn't been going too well to date.... and thus I haven't drawn any salary/income of any sort for almost 1 year now.
          My cash reserves are perilously low. If HMRC win and fire their BN66 retrospective payment at me, then I will probably have to suspend the business.
          So not only would I suffer, but I would have to pull out my remaining deposit in the company to pay for the tax, but the joint business would be left in a mess, impacting the welfare of other business partners, just at a point when we might start to become profitable and turn it around.

Comment

Any suggestions?

I would like to be able to share with everyone the sort of responses we're getting.

For obvious reasons, I don't want to post anything on here and give our "friends" in HMRC a heads up.

Any ideas how I can do this in a secure way which doesn't involve me replying to hundreds of individual emails?

Comment

Court of Appeal - Why does BA / Unite happen so quick

Anyone know why we have to wait so long, yet BA/Unite case seems to manage to get into the Court of Appeal within 1 week.

Are they different courts?

Comment

I would like to be able to share with everyone the sort of responses we're getting.

For obvious reasons, I don't want to post anything on here and give our "friends" in HMRC a heads up.
                I think you have to assume that anybody you send it too could pass it onto HMRC; so if it is sensitive I suggest you keep it between people you know well.

Comment

Any ideas how I can do this in a secure way which doesn't involve me replying to hundreds of individual emails?

Responses from whom?

Comment

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                    I think you have to assume that anybody you send it too could pass it onto HMRC; so if it is sensitive I suggest you keep it between people you know well.
                    Hear, hear!

DR, if the responses are positive that's all we need to know. Let's keep our powder dry until battle commences.

P.S. For those who may have missed it, some news on IR35 in the coalition's detailed programme, at page 10 of http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/medi...coalition.pdf:
                    "We will review IR35 as part of a wholesale review of all small business taxation, and seek to replace it with simpler measures that prevent tax avoidance but do not place undue administrative burdens or uncertainty on the self employed, or restrict labour market flexibility."

Back onshore, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                      Responses from whom?
                      The MPs we have been writing to.

HMRC, and their partners in crime* in HM Treasury, are going to be all out to nobble us.

* remember, the Government may have changed but the civil service mandarins in the Treasury who recommended this legislation have not!

Comment

Working...
                      X