• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CXC Global Umbrella + Tax Back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also £87.50 for a weekly fee seems ridiculous, my umbrella company i use is a lot cheaper and i imagine Lisa above is a lot cheaper also

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOD View Post
      also £87.50 for a weekly fee seems ridiculous, my umbrella company i use is a lot cheaper and i imagine Lisa above is a lot cheaper also
      I didn't know any contractors when I moved to the UK so just wanted something sorted asap - needless to say, I have not bothered my arse to find out much more since

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Your net is £1222.69 but from that you would have to pay your rent of £320 for the following week
        Taking your £700 a week pad out of that would have left a pretty sick looking number
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ronanm View Post
          So Net is £1222.69. I physically pay £320 each week to my landlord and they set aside £320 for next week's rent - it that right?
          Your actual income is £1750.00 per week. You pay £320 each week to your landlord for rent and, assuming you are continuing to pay for your permanent residence, this amount is allowable as an expense. This means that your umbrella company will process your expense claim for week 1 with your earnings for week1 - therefore your taxable pay for the week will be £1430.00. Once deductions have been made for tax and NI and your umbrella company's (high!) fees you will be left with £1222.69 in your pocket. From this £1222.69 you will pay your rent for week 2 but this will, in turn, be processed as an expense against your week 2 earnings.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I didn't know any contractors when I moved to the UK so just wanted something sorted asap - needless to say, I have not bothered my arse to find out much more since
            You dont say lol....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Taking your £700 a week pad out of that would have left a pretty sick looking number
              Tell me about it!!! They were taking out £700 a week and then they forgot to one of the weeks - imagine my delight when I got an e-mail to say they would be charging me £1400 for the week as they'd forgot to invoice me a couple of weeks previously - I can laugh about it now mad

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Your actual income is £1750.00 per week. You pay £320 each week to your landlord for rent and, assuming you are continuing to pay for your permanent residence, this amount is allowable as an expense. This means that your umbrella company will process your expense claim for week 1 with your earnings for week1 - therefore your taxable pay for the week will be £1430.00. Once deductions have been made for tax and NI and your umbrella company's (high!) fees you will be left with £1222.69 in your pocket. From this £1222.69 you will pay your rent for week 2 but this will, in turn, be processed as an expense against your week 2 earnings.
                Brilliantly descibed - thanks a lot

Comment

Brilliantly descibed - thanks a lot
                  You're welcome ronanm
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It seems to me that you're still not quite getting it. In effect your umbrella is not paying for the accomodation at all. If you were staying with a friend for free then all of your money would be used towards salary and you would get a larger amount as salary (although less overall as you would pay more tax). The less you pay for rent the more income you will have. The rent money comes out of the money which you bring in.

If they forgot to apply the £700 one week and then applied £1400 the next week then you are no worse off overall than if they'd applied the £700 to both weeks.

Not sure I can explain this to you without sitting next to you with a pen and paper and drawing diagrams!
                    Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                      It seems to me that you're still not quite getting it. In effect your umbrella is not paying for the accomodation at all. If you were staying with a friend for free then all of your money would be used towards salary and you would get a larger amount as salary (although less overall as you would pay more tax). The less you pay for rent the more income you will have. The rent money comes out of the money which you bring in.

If they forgot to apply the £700 one week and then applied £1400 the next week then you are no worse off overall than if they'd applied the £700 to both weeks.

Not sure I can explain this to you without sitting next to you with a pen and paper and drawing diagrams!
                      Thanks - I do get it. What I didn't say was that the rental company charged me the £1400 not the umbrella. Lisa kindly enlightened me about the intracacies of offseting rent. Get it?!
                      Last edited by ronanm; 4 February 2010, 17:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X